Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Thoughts on my lyrics?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    I think your lyrics are good. I really like the lyrics to 'I Am". The question is, how do the lyrics interact with the music? To me, that is what a song is, otherwise it is a poem. It's great if lyrics can stand alone and be read as a poem, but there are plenty of great songs with lyrics that look dumb if you just read them. There are also many songs that became hits that no one really understands except the songwriter. In terms of creating a song that other people like (I assume that is your goal), the actual lyrics aren't as important as the melody and the way the syllables flow IMO. I guess my opinion differs on that from Delmont who posted above that the lyrics are all important. A doo doo doo A da da da, is all I want to say to you ..nuff said

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by docmansound View Post
    I think your lyrics are good. I really like the lyrics to 'I Am". The question is, how do the lyrics interact with the music? To me, that is what a song is, otherwise it is a poem. It's great if lyrics can stand alone and be read as a poem, but there are plenty of great songs with lyrics that look dumb if you just read them.

Like everything by George Harrison (whose songs I love).

There are also many songs that became hits that no one really understands except the songwriter by one of the masters.

Like the Dead's "China Cat Sunflower."

In terms of creating a song that other people like (I assume that is your goal), the actual lyrics aren't as important as the melody and the way the syllables flow IMO.

Exactly!

I guess my opinion differs on that from Delmont who posted above that the lyrics are all important. A doo doo doo A da da da, is all I want to say to you ..nuff said
    Yikes! Not what I meant at all! All lyrics are important, but no lyrics are all-important.

"A doo doo doo A da da da" isn't great poetry, but it is great song writing.

Just as you say, a song isn't a tune and it isn't a poem. The sum should be more than the total of tune and words or it's not much of a song.

Otherwise I'd've stuck to poetry. It's certainly a cheaper hobby!

Now excuse me while I go back and see what I said before . . . .
    Last edited by Delmont; 02-08-2018 at 11:47.

Thanks
    Okay, just checked. Look again. I didn't say "Lyrics are all-important." I said: "Bad lyrics = bad song."

They sure do! And I'll add: Bad music = bad song.

And: Good lyrics + good music = good song.

I was commenting on the lyrics because the original post was about lyrics.

Good poems aren't necessarily good lyrics. Good lyrics aren't necessarily good poems. Poems are words that can stand alone. Words and music make a song. A songwriter strives to write a good song. That takes good words, and good music.

Then it's in the performer's court. The performer's job is to bring it to life.

Thread Information