Thread: Techniques You Use to Break a Creative Block

Thanks

Techniques You Use to Break a Creative Block

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi all. I just wanted to pose a question on this forum: When you have writer's block in creating your music, what strategies in the past have helped you overcome them? Hopefully, your responses can help others surmount their own creative blocks.

As far as me, nothing beats good old exercise. I don't like sitting and focusing for too long on one project, so jumping around (when I'm alone at the house) keeps me focused for more creativity.

Thanks
    I usually keep everything in my head until I get a complete song, but there are times when progress comes to a halt and I write the lyrics down so I don't forget them.

#1.. I believe absolutely that the finished product is in me. I know for a fact the song will be completed down the line at some point - who knows when.. next 2 minutes.. or whenever.. (one song took me 3 years).

When I reach this point I'll write down all the lyrics I have on a piece of copier paper and leave that out in the open on a counter or desk - usually in a short pile of other unfinished songs.

Every waking moment of every day I have melodies, drums, guitars and vocals running through my mind. Several times each day - every day - I look over those unfinished song lyrics and try to fit them with the tunes in my head. Sometimes they'll match up - sometimes not.

Either way, I continue with the songs that have come together. Always moving forward.

I recently combined 3 short noodles into one coherent piece - this after using them individually for warm-ups over the past 2 years.

So, I don't do anything to get through a block, I just set it aside and keep working on the next tune.

It all comes around eventually
    ...as i get older, my equipment gets smaller

Thanks
    Words from the master here
    screen-shot-2018-01-17-5-20-56-pm-png

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Battlegun View Post
    Hi all. I just wanted to pose a question on this forum: When you have writer's block in creating your music, what strategies in the past have helped you overcome them? Hopefully, your responses can help others surmount their own creative blocks.

Walk away. Live life. Watch people, how they interact with each other. Study the world around you.

The award winning, multiple hit writer Dianne Warren said in an interveiw once;

"If you just spend one day just observing the world around you, you'll have enough material for a lifetime's worth of songs"

Yeah, too much time in front of the computer, playing with plug ins, tweeking mixes can make anyone blocked.
    Gotta balance it out with the rest of the world.

Thanks
    Get away from it and go find some trouble.

Thread Information