Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Techniques You Use to Break a Creative Block

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    I have a notebook of lyrics, sayings, concepts, ideas, etc that I refer back to when writers block sets in.

If it's lyrical, songwriting software that suggests lyrics many times inspires me with new ideas.

Thanks
    Maybe work on a cover. I like to take existing songs by groups / people I enjoy and put a twist on them. Convert a song you like from 4/4 to 3/4. Changeup the rhythm pattern or something. Sing a soft song aggressively, whatever. Just butchering something someone else has done opens up your creativity.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by einstein magoo View Post
    Maybe work on a cover. I like to take existing songs by groups / people I enjoy and put a twist on them. Convert a song you like from 4/4 to 3/4. Changeup the rhythm pattern or something. Sing a soft song aggressively, whatever. Just butchering something someone else has done opens up your creativity.
    I have found that this works a lot for me. Seeing how a professionally-done song really inspires me to create something like. I almost always feel the need to create something after dissecting a piece of music.
    Networking with young composers! http://composersofthefuture.boards.net/
    My Website: http://www.alecweesner.com

Thanks
    I always find that riding in a car makes me think about lyrics and expressing myself.

Also you can sing scat when you're alone and not look like a fool, until you get to a stop light.
    Please visit my website to peruse my novels, a musical, a play, some short stories and about six dozen songs.
    http://www.wignelson.com

Thanks
    It might sound stupid, but I find the best way is to power through. Just writing anything, even if you're not happy with it when it's finished, can help you to get through it as you get in to the mindset of writing. I generally have to write with tight deadlines so if I get stuck on a particular track, I just move on to another one until I'm starting to feel inspired by the other again.

Thread Information