Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Songwriters: Do you still like your music?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by easlern View Post
    I'm still trying to get my taste and my songwriting to agree. I can't tell you why I write folk when I don't even listen to it lol

I listen to stuff I did and I'll be like, "wow cool", so I think I like it. But it's not replacing my playlists, I listen to other people 99% of the time. Maybe it's like tickling yourself, it just doesn't work for me.
    Oh man, bang on with that comment !! I'm doing it all the damn time. I get this urge to write a song, get a little bit hyped up - then end up with some wishy-washy namby-pamby middle of the road folk thing. I even bore myself when listening to it back.

So I scrap it - start again - and hey presto - another bloody folk song has appeared.

I guess it's just because it's (not wanting to offend any folkies out there) a bit simple, standard chord progressions, and strumming patterns
    https://soundcloud.com/tim-summers/sets/random-tangents-best

Thanks
    I get this, too. I start a song out in my head. It sounds very full and country swing sort of thing. The next thing I know, I've got the Metalhead amp out and 6 channels of kick...scrap.
    I've got this lovely piano piece that just needs some bass and strings and then I listen to it a couple hours later and there's a monster complexity of tangled parts...(sometimes I keep those).
    Soundcloud Page
    I don't care about my ego, I care about my mixes--Just say what you mean.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BroKen_H For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by witm8 View Post
    a bit simple, standard chord progressions, and strumming patterns
    I think you're exactly right, it's not even a knock on the music really, I think the lyrics and emotion are the focus in folk. It does get monotonous if you're not mindful though. I'm not a fantastic guitarist so I tend to use similar patterns/changes on everything, it takes an effort to keep things fresh.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BroKen_H View Post
    ...country swing sort of thing. The next thing I know, I've got the Metalhead amp out and 6 channels of kick...
    sounds like you're describing the recent clinic track the blues base but with a metal twist one?

To answer the thread - Since I started mixing my own crap, I never listen to the radio or anything anymore unless the gf has control of the dial in the car. If I do, it's only to reference sounds (30STM, My Chemical Romance, Anberlin, Breaking Benjamin). The song "Helena" by MCR, however, I can ALWAYS get into. And any Nirvana song.

But my own, I guess I still like it. I go in phases where I think it's really good, then for a week I'll think it sucks badly, then back to the first... repeat over and over. Ah, the life and mind of the songwriter. lol.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by witm8 View Post
    I guess it's just because it's (not wanting to offend any folkies out there) a bit simple, standard chord progressions, and strumming patterns
    I think you're exactly right, it's not even a knock on the music really, I think the lyrics and emotion are the focus in folk. It does get monotonous if you're not mindful though. I'm not a fantastic guitarist so I tend to use similar patterns/changes on everything, it takes an effort to keep things fresh.
    It's funny to hear someone say that, because I *do* listen to *some* folk related stuff, and one of my favorite things about it is the dense and nuanced approach to instrumentation.. but I suppose if you're not a fan, what would even motivate you to dig deeper than the caricature of a "folk type song" that gets slapped on a Target commercial or Simpsons episode?
    Last edited by fat_fleet; 01-28-2017 at 06:21. Reason: added witm8 quote
    History has a way of deleting anachronisms. -PKD

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BroKen_H View Post
    I get this, too. I start a song out in my head. It sounds very full and country swing sort of thing. The next thing I know, I've got the Metalhead amp out and 6 channels of kick...scrap.
    I've got this lovely piano piece that just needs some bass and strings and then I listen to it a couple hours later and there's a monster complexity of tangled parts...(sometimes I keep those).
    This might be related to what we were discussing on the other thread. When you are struggling for lyrics or vocal melody, ever tempted to overdub another guitar part instead? That's how it happens. I have to stop myself all the time. I say to myself: nope, not doing another thing with this song until I have melody and lyrics.

Thanks
    No, no, NO. There MUST be 7 things fighting for the lead at ALL TIMES!!!
    Soundcloud Page
    I don't care about my ego, I care about my mixes--Just say what you mean.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fat_fleet View Post
    It's funny to hear someone say that, because I *do* listen to *some* folk related stuff, and one of my favorite things about it is the dense and nuanced approach to instrumentation.. but I suppose if you're not a fan, what would even motivate you to dig deeper than the caricature of a "folk type song" that gets slapped on a Target commercial or Simpsons episode?
    Sorry to personally insult you bud

Thanks
    Sorry to personally insult you bud
    Lol, so if I express an opinion different than yours, must be because I was insulted? That's pretty myopic dude.
    History has a way of deleting anachronisms. -PKD

Thread Information