Song Arrangement (Instrumentation) Chart Template Suggestions??

MMMllc

Hello,

I'm new to to forum, so thank you to all.

I'm working on getting more organized about my song writing from the get go and started to write out long hand a chart where I will indicate each element that is going to be played during each section of a song.

For example. Verse 1. Vocal, Clean Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Bass, Drums.
And I'll have these all in a vertical column and then the next column would for example be Chorus 1....and then list all the elements playing in that section.

So, finally, my question:

Just wondering if anyone else out there is doing something like that and if there might be any templates online of simple charts that could be used in Word, or Adobe or any other simple software.

If not, maybe a suggestion on how to go about creating a very simple chart?

Thank you so much in advance.

Mike

You can do that simply by creating a table in Word or Excel.

Personally I have not felt a great need to be that methodical. However, when I have had occasion to plan more carefully, I've just scribbled it out on a bit of paper.

Thanks Gecko,

I find that it helps me out when I'm getting ready to record something for keeps. When I don't do this I end up with 127 tracks (mostly guitars).
Thank you!

I've never done that. I'll add or take away parts all the time, based on what I think the song needs. It usually never develops the way you intended, and the song in your head can be a little different than how it comes out on record. Therefore, planning on making adjustments is a good thing. Be willing to scrap that 4th guitar - if it saves the mix.

If this were regarding a pro engineer making a living off of clients music, then yes, I could understand needing to write everything out. But for writing and composing your own tunes, not so much. Just my opinion.

I never do that either.
There's always a production idea/plan in my head...but I always let the song tell me what it wants. Sometimes it's pretty much in line with my production ideas....other times interesting things happen as tracks are added, and I never hesitate to alter my direction, sometimes dramatically, in order to flush out the new ideas that the song has given me.

If I planned everything methodically and just stuck to that arrangement and instrumentation...the real heart of the song might never come out.

Of course...it depends on how you like to work.
Even though I always do some per-production, and have the arrangement/instrumentation kinda worked ou...I tend to use my tracking sessions also as an exploratory and creative process, so that's why I say that I'll let the song tell me where it wants to go.
Now, if you have all your ideas worked out, and you've rehearsed all the parts, and you've flushed out all the possible ideas...and now you want to sort of "lock in" the production and stick to everything you planned out...then it probably makes sense to write out the things you want to do.
I'm just never that "locked in" to my ideas....there's always room for deviation. :)

I think when someone is new to the whole production process...and especially in the digital world where things are less linear and there are unlimited tracks available...they will tend to record endless bits and ideas and only after many tracks do they finally have a handle on where the song needs to go...so there's these excess of tracks.
Just be bold...remove the ones that are not really working. It's OK to delete :eek: some tracks rather than stare at them wondering how to make them all fit into the mix, or feeling like they are all you children, and you can't decide which ones to love more. :D
Be bold...keep the big picture in mind, and ignore the stuff that doesn't fit.

Back