Sam Smith smackdown for Stay With Me

Hey....sometimes it takes a rude kick in the ass, and then you get up and come back bigger/better than before.
Sounds like it was the best thing that happend to you! :)

It's like the old saying, "Do me a favor and fire me....'cuz I'm too stupid to quit this lame job" :D

Hey....sometimes it takes a rude kick in the ass, and then you get up and come back bigger/better than before.
Sounds like it was the best thing that happend to you! :)

It's like the old saying, "Do me a favor and fire me....'cuz I'm too stupid to quit this lame job" :D

Yeah, that's it. I do miss having people around while I work. It's pretty much one on one now, which is cool, too. I used to need to be around people, at parties, at clubs, etc....But in the last 10 years or so, I've become the complete opposite. The last band I played in sent me almost into a depression. One of the reasons was that I hated the music we played, but the other reason was how much it would give me anxiety attacks to leave the house on a Friday to go play. Funny how that's the exact opposite of how I used to be.

But working in the gym was cool because it gave me SOME contact with people. That's the only thing I sort of miss, but I'm enjoying the hell out of this, too.

Thanx man.

I used to need to be around people, at parties, at clubs, etc....But in the last 10 years or so, I've become the complete opposite. The last band I played in sent me almost into a depression. One of the reasons was that I hated the music we played, but the other reason was how much it would give me anxiety attacks to leave the house on a Friday to go play.

You're not the only one! :D

My explanation to people is... "I've grown comfortable in my solitude." :)
Hey...I see way more people than I want to at my day gig...and work is cool, it's a pretty mellow/friendly attitude, so there's also plenty of socializing too.
When I leave work and come home....these days I don't even want to walk up my driveway to the mailbox once I'm in my house. :p
I just don't really go out much anymore....once in awhile to hear someone play, but even that's rare....and usually I'm the same way, the anxiety of having to stop everything and make an effort to go out is a PITA. When I have to do an overnight somewhere, like go visit my sister who is too far for a day trip...man, it's not a happy thing for me (not the being there, but the leaving my own house part).
I've become an absolute homebody...and I'm quite comfortable with that.

Back to the thread....

So I'm sitting here wondering....how the fuck didn't Sam and his "people" (I'm sure there were many involved in the recording/release of his music) not notice the similarity...???
It's not like the Petty tune was an obscure one. I would think someone in his inner music circle would have leaned over and said, "Hey Sam...is it me or does your chorus sound a lot like that Petty tune...?"
I mean....who was looking out for the guy...?

I hope that if ever I post a song that sounds like something already out there...you guys will say something.
Even if my tunes never see dime-one....I still don't want to have anything that sounds like an obvious copycat.

"I've grown comfortable in my solitude." :)
I've become an absolute homebody...and I'm quite comfortable with that.
Me too. As corny as it might sound, I really like my own company. I'm at the point where my cats are cooler than any people I know. I see people that went through the whole "I have to settle down and have kids because that's what you're supposed to do" are either divorced and really bitter and un-happy, or they're not divorced but they resent the hell out of everything in their life, including their partner. Besides that, for about a 15 year period, they turn into nothing but taxi drivers for their annoying, entitled teenagers.

So I'm sitting here wondering....how the fuck didn't Sam and his "people" (I'm sure there were many involved in the recording/release of his music) not notice the similarity...???
Maybe they noticed, but they had the same attitude you fuckers that are defending him had. :D

I don't know who Sam Smith is. I'm not defending him. He's probably some pop homo right?
I think so. I only found out his name when I heard about this lawsuit a few days ago. I never knew who it was when I heard the song on the radio.

So, maybe it worked for him either way. What do they say, all publicity is good publicity?

So, maybe it worked for him either way. What do they say, all publicity is good publicity?

True. I now knowhis name. Not that I'll buy anything, but for someone who does buy music, this can't hurt Sham. :D

When I was a kid, I didn't give a shit about history either, other than rock history. Even at 10 years old, I could recite the history of rock and name all the Bill Haley's and Chuck Berry's, etc......

As I got older, I became somewhat of a history buff. Now, I love "old" stuff. I love watching old footage from the 30's, 40's, 50's, etc...I only watch documentaries. Haven't seen a real Hollywood movie in over 20 years. I have no interest in fiction. Who needs it. Reality is just as weird.

Hey Rami, if you dig historical docs, you *MUST* watch Ken Burns' "The War," which is EASILY the best WWII doc I've ever seen, mainly because of how he approaches the subject. I will assume you've already seen his epic 20-odd part documentary, "Jazz." If you haven't, WATCH IT IMMEDIATELY. It'll take ya a month if you watch one a day, five days a week, but it's SO worth it. I've seen it five or six times (I had LOTS of downtime 2009-2011 when I was in a band signed to Virgin and was touring heavily) and it gets better each time.

If you do the whole Netflix streaming thing, I'm pretty sure both of the docs I mentioned are available there.

Hey Rami, if you dig historical docs, you *MUST* watch Ken Burns' "The War," which is EASILY the best WWII doc I've ever seen, mainly because of how he approaches the subject. I will assume you've already seen his epic 20-odd part documentary, "Jazz." If you haven't, WATCH IT IMMEDIATELY. It'll take ya a month if you watch one a day, five days a week, but it's SO worth it. I've seen it five or six times (I had LOTS of downtime 2009-2011 when I was in a band signed to Virgin and was touring heavily) and it gets better each time.

If you do the whole Netflix streaming thing, I'm pretty sure both of the docs I mentioned are available there.
Thanx Don't. I'll check it out. I've seen JAZZ and The Civil War and I still put on "Baseball" and watch it to this day. I think I've seen it 40 times. I'm not even a big baseball fan, but the history of baseball is also a lesson in American history so I find it such an awesome documentary. Much more interesting than watching an actual baseball game.

I know he also has one on Prohibition called "A Nation of Drunkards" which looks interesting, but I haven't gotten around to watching it yet. I didn't know he had one on WW2. I'm sure I'd find it interesting, but I also think we've been totally lied to as far as history goes in a lot of cases, and I think WW2 is one of those events where the truth and what we've been taught are two completely different things, but that's another argument. I'll try to find it. Thanx

Me too. When I was a kid and all my friends were listening to Motley Crue and Ratt garbage, I was listening to my dad's old Jerry Lee Lewis and Ventures records. I've always gravitated to the older stuff so I don't feel too curmudgeonly about hating whatever new shit comes along.
In my opinion Jerry Lee Lewis, in his prime, was as good, wild, powerful, raw, and amazing as a rocker gets. He just flat out rocked and pushes the envelope. He was like a trapeze artist with no net. It's amazing how many things that later artists built upon that he pioneered. It's unfortunate that the poor decisions he made in his personal life caused a backlash against him and forced him out of rock and roll and into country music. Even though his tremendous talent and musical vision allowed his to pretty much own country music in the late 60's and early 70's. I think he had alot more to offer rock and roll and was cut down in his prime.
He is my all time favorite rocker.
sorry for side tracking your thread ido1957...but I love me some killer!

Back