Is it okay to write a song about constipation?

Thing with lyrics is the presentation (ie "attitude") really matters. Who's singing it and how? One person's voice and delivery could be perfect for an irreverent song, another's could be perfect for a sincere song. but give the irreverent guy a sincere song or vice-versa, it's just not going to sound right.

That being said, I must say if someone's so self-conscious they have to ask strangers if it's ok to sing about something "risky", there's a good chance irreverence ain't their cup o' tea. So I'll be the odd man out and say don't do it, but whatever. It's not like you're risking anything. Good luck.

This ^^^^^^^

Write em. Throw in all typical clichés and gimmicks that you can. If you're going to write about that, it better be frikkin funny.

Don't worry about crossing any lines. We've had much worse topics in songs posted to the boards before. Constipation would be a relief. (Like what I did there? :D)

If I can write and record a "Fairytale" song about Jack n Jill scoring pills, Goldilocks getting banged by Papa Bear and Pussycat seeing the Queen sucking the King! Anyone can write anything.

Just write that shit and get it out of your system. For a song of that topic, I would have to be blunt and make it disgusting and funny. each to their own.

be sure to post it up for us to hear when you're done. :thumbs up:

Over the last two or so years, I've started learning to ignore my apprehension when it comes to subject matter. I write for myself. Sure, I play my stuff for other people but I no longer write songs with them in mind. It's so easy to box yourself in that way. You never get anything done. As long as you love your songs like you're a fan, you don't have to worry about what other people think. Just say to yourself, "If I loose listeners over this, they didn't understand my music to begin with."

thanks guys i finished the song and will post it soon i hope after i get some time to record it.

My kids complained about my "gas" problem (theirs, not mine!) so I spent the rest of the day singing "Fartin for a livin" with some pretty catchy rhymes. Unfortunately I didn't write them down or record it. Probably never will but it may resurface next time I eat bananas. My daughter gets cleaned out every time she eats Ramen noodles. You might try that. Mather at its best!

Don't do market research!
When lots of people hate what you're doing, the few who love it will bond over it and be more excited about it. Like, I don't know...Marilyn Manson?

I have had it for four days and am so mad about it that I wrote a song to get the rage out.

I never say constipation I just kind of allude to the problem. Is that okay?

There are hundreds of examples of successful songwriters that have been totally full of shit. This fact, alone, should provide you some relief.

Back