Is it okay to write a song about constipation?

Nola

I have had it for four days and am so mad about it that I wrote a song to get the rage out.

I never say constipation I just kind of allude to the problem. Is that okay?

thanks everyone i'm just afraid people would think i'm being an immature man child like weird al.

but, i never mention constipation and hide that that's what it's about. so does that make it more palatable? ugh, worst pun.

man, i hate this. i have the constipation blues.

i have the constipation blues.

If that's the direction to took with it, then yeah, it's a bad idea. We have enough I-have-the-something-blues songs in the world.

But if you are clever about it, and pair it with good melody, it might be worth hearing.

If that's the direction to took with it, then yeah, it's a bad idea. We have enough I-have-the-something-blues songs in the world.

But if you are clever about it, and pair it with good melody, it might be worth hearing.

oh, no, it's not blues and there's nothing like that in the lyrics. i'm saying in real life i have the constipation blues.

the song is more raucous and noisy. i will post the lyrics soon and you can tell me if it stinks. it's called "it won't come out" for now but i might change it. but for now i like that title since it's vague and makes me laugh a little and sums up this situation without saying constipation. i guess my big fear is being a bad Weird Al.

oh, no, it's not blues and there's nothing like that in the lyrics. i'm saying in real life i have the constipation blues.

the song is more raucous and noisy. i will post the lyrics soon and you can tell me if it stinks. it's called "it won't come out" for now but i might change it. but for now i like that title since it's vague and makes me laugh a little and sums up this situation without saying constipation. i guess my big fear is being a bad weird al.

Don't post the lyrics for approval. Why would you? No one here matters. Lyrics mean nothing without melody and context. It's just words. Like drums. A beat is just a beat without anything around it. Lyrics are just stupid poetry without music and melody to make it a song. Write your song, the way you want to write it. It's your song, no one else's. You don't need the opinions or approval of internet idiots when it comes to songwriting. No one here is a "successful" writer, so their collective opinions on songwriting are meaningless. Do your thing the way you wanna do it. Write your constipation song. If you enjoy it, that's all that matters.

What Greg said. Just write the song. Don't concern yourself with what others think. If you enjoy the song, that's more than enough. Others can either like it or lump it. It won't harm you any.

:thumbs up:

What Greg said. Just write the song. Don't concern yourself with what others think. If you enjoy the song, that's more than enough. Others can either like it or lump it. It won't harm you any.

:thumbs up:

okay thanks guys but you should have said others can either like it or dump it. : D

i don't think i'd be posting the lyrics for approval but just to ask if they cross the line into weird al territory 'cause i can't stand that guy. but maybe it would be for approval. i'm not smart enough to know about subconscious motivation.

but either way i won't post them and i'll use the time better like to record it or take ex lax.

okay thanks guys but you should have said others can either like it or dump it. :D

i don't think i'd be posting the lyrics for approval but just to ask if they cross the line into weird al territory 'cause i can't stand that guy. but maybe it would be for approval. i'm not smart enough to know about subconscious motivation.

but either way i won't post them and i'll use the time better like to record it or take ex lax.

Weird Al is Weird Al because he makes parody covers and has a nasally voice. Is your constipation song a parody cover? Do you have a nasally voice? If the answer is "no" to those questions, then you're fine.

okay thanks guys but you should have said others can either like it or dump it. : D

I hope you get it out of your system.

Don't post the lyrics for approval. Why would you? No one here matters. Lyrics mean nothing without melody and context. It's just words. Like drums. A beat is just a beat without anything around it. Lyrics are just stupid poetry without music and melody to make it a song. Write your song, the way you want to write it. It's your song, no one else's. You don't need the opinions or approval of internet idiots when it comes to songwriting. No one here is a "successful" writer, so their collective opinions on songwriting are meaningless. Do your thing the way you wanna do it. Write your constipation song. If you enjoy it, that's all that matters.

That's not true, Greg. Lyrics are immensely important. I would say more important than the music. Though, if we're talking about constipation, they might not matter all that much. lol.

That's not true, Greg. Lyrics are immensely important. I would say more important than the music. .

You could say that, but you'd be wrong.

You also completely missed the context of the conversation. What I was saying is that 1) no one here is qualified to tell you if your own lyrics are good or bad. They can like them or not, but it means nothing unless you let their opinions mean something, and why the fuck would you do that? And 2) lyrics by themselves mean nothing without the music and melody to put those lyrics into a song. Lyrics without music or melody is just written words. Take the words out of a beautiful piece of music an it's still a beautiful piece of music. Take the music away from lyrics and you have a short story.

1) no one here is qualified to tell you if your own lyrics are good or bad.

Or rather, everyone here is qualified to tell you if your lyrics are good or bad because it's all pretty subjective. However, no one here can or will pitch them to someone who will make them a hit single.

Anyway. You can write songs about any topic you want. Just ask Foul_Phil.

Thing with lyrics is the presentation (ie "attitude") really matters. Who's singing it and how? One person's voice and delivery could be perfect for an irreverent song, another's could be perfect for a sincere song. but give the irreverent guy a sincere song or vice-versa, it's just not going to sound right.

That being said, I must say if someone's so self-conscious they have to ask strangers if it's ok to sing about something "risky", there's a good chance irreverence ain't their cup o' tea. So I'll be the odd man out and say don't do it, but whatever. It's not like you're risking anything. Good luck.

Back