Is this not the best song of all time?

FoulPhil

Yo guys sorry I haven't bee around in a long time. The Dr put me on some Fcked up medication that had me screwed up for the last 3 months. Haven't been working on new music, just practicing songs I already wrote. So, I'm back at it now that they told me I could stop taking this devil pharmaceutical. So, I'll have some new stuff to show eventually, but I'm still going for classics like this. What do you think? I love David Allen Coe. To me he's just so fcking awesome and I can't get enough of his music.

I like DAC. A friend of mine went to see him in Allentown about 5 or 6 years ago and some guy tried to rob him at knifepoint when he went to the ATM outside the bar. I can't remember if he said he gave him the money or not.

That's a great story. I guess you should always bring your cash with you to a DAC concert. lol

I'm not a country music fan in general and rarely listen to it, but I can respect the hell out of this much more than what passes for "country" nowadays --- with the painted on jeans and the Chevy with a lift kit heading down a dirt road with a six pack, blah, blah. It's just pop rock wearing a cowboy hat.

Edit: Sorry to hear about your prescription troubles. Hopefully you're on the right track now.

That's a great story. I guess you should always bring your cash with you to a DAC concert. lol

I guess so! I wish I could remember if he ended up giving up the cash. I'm going to have to give him a call.

And sorry to hear you had some medical problems. Hope you come out of it ok.

famous beagle

I agree, country is generally garbage. I refer to what they generally refer to "outlaw country" as "real country". That's the good stuff. Guys like DAC, Waylon Jennings, Cash, Billie Joe Shaver, etc.

They took me off the medication and gave me a new one to try, but I'm scared to take it because my last experience with medication was 3 months of hell. I suffer from extreme anxiety and I'm generally anti-social. I would rather just deal with things how they are. The meds didn't help me, only made me worse. Not exactly sure what I'm going to do about it...

I agree with both your statements. Most of the new country guys sounds like whiny little bitches. There is something great about how outlaw country features a strong male voice. It's like a combination of talking and singing. It's weird how good and powerful it can sound. And then you have guys like George Jones who really do sing and belt it out in an extremely heartfelt manner.

They took me off the medication and gave me a new one to try, but I'm scared to take it because my last experience with medication was 3 months of hell. I suffer from extreme anxiety and I'm generally anti-social. I would rather just deal with things how they are. The meds didn't help me, only made me worse. Not exactly sure what I'm going to do about it...

My daughter suffered/suffers from the same thing. They put her on meds and it was so bad, she asked the doctor to take her off. The doctor wouldn't, so she took herself off. Hallucinations, withdraws and she was going to school at the same time and it was really bad.

She is off her meds, finished her degree in English (with two minors in a foreign language Chinese and Japanese), went back and got her chemistry degree and then left for merry ol' England (I'm in the US) to pursue her masters in Chemical research. She didn't know anyone, she is 4'10", barely weights 100 pounds and decides to go off on a new adventure. I could not be more proud of her. She still has the issues to some extent, but she is figuring out away to work through them.

I am not saying not to do your meds, but with some work and courage, you might not need them. Just figure out how to cope without them is the challenge. It can be done.

Years ago I had a friend who went on some sort of anti-depression pill. He went on the pill and he told me it helped with his depression, but it made him gain 30 lbs, and then he got depressed because he was fat. He did say he liked the extra knockout power the weight gave him in barfights. I was witness to several of them and could tell he definitely had more punching power. He quit the medication and the weight came off in a month with him doing nothing differently than he had been.

FoulPhil said:
I agree with both your statements. Most of the new country guys sounds like whiny little bitches. There is something great about how outlaw country features a strong male voice. It's like a combination of talking and singing. It's weird how good and powerful it can sound. And then you have guys like George Jones who really do sing and belt it out in an extremely heartfelt manner.

I don't even give new "country" stuff a chance. There are about 8 country albums I will listen to, and one of them is a George Jones' Greatest Hits. I covered "She Thinks I Still Care" once. The best I have ever heard is Waylon Jennings' "Honky Tonk Heroes" album. It is about 25 minutes long and is phenomenal. Definitely listen to that one if you haven't.

I played a lot of 60's-80's country in wedding bands etc over the years. I'm probably just getting old but I prefer the old tunes too. Simple chords and leads, great stories, great vocals, dance-able. I played a DAC tune - The Ride - that was a killer song....

I think DAC has an expressive and quite good voice, but oh that corny accent spoils it for me. I just wish country singers didn't sing with *that* accent. Thankfully some of them don't. The real beauty of real old time country music is the story lines and the good, tuneful melodies.

My daughter suffered/suffers from the same thing. They put her on meds and it was so bad, she asked the doctor to take her off. The doctor wouldn't, so she took herself off. Hallucinations, withdraws and she was going to school at the same time and it was really bad.

She is off her meds, finished her degree in English (with two minors in a foreign language Chinese and Japanese), went back and got her chemistry degree and then left for merry ol' England (I'm in the US) to pursue her masters in Chemical research. She didn't know anyone, she is 4'10", barely weights 100 pounds and decides to go off on a new adventure. I could not be more proud of her. She still has the issues to some extent, but she is figuring out away to work through them.

I am not saying not to do your meds, but with some work and courage, you might not need them. Just figure out how to cope without them is the challenge. It can be done.

Thanks for the comment. I'm already an older dude and it seemed to have gotten worse with age, but I guess that's the way it goes. Hopefully I can overcome :D

Years ago I had a friend who went on some sort of anti-depression pill. He went on the pill and he told me it helped with his depression, but it made him gain 30 lbs, and then he got depressed because he was fat. He did say he liked the extra knockout power the weight gave him in barfights. I was witness to several of them and could tell he definitely had more punching power. He quit the medication and the weight came off in a month with him doing nothing differently than he had been.

I don't even give new "country" stuff a chance. There are about 8 country albums I will listen to, and one of them is a George Jones' Greatest Hits. I covered "She Thinks I Still Care" once. The best I have ever heard is Waylon Jennings' "Honky Tonk Heroes" album. It is about 25 minutes long and is phenomenal. Definitely listen to that one if you haven't.

lol I had the extra 30 pounds before I took the pills :p

I listened to some guy yesterday and I can't remember his name, but he had made some comments about outlaw country and everyone was complaining about it. So, I listened to one of his songs and thought it was terrible shit. Honky Tonk Heroes is a favorite for sure.

I played a lot of 60's-80's country in wedding bands etc over the years. I'm probably just getting old but I prefer the old tunes too. Simple chords and leads, great stories, great vocals, dance-able. I played a DAC tune - The Ride - that was a killer song....

The ride is a cool song. I was lucky enough to get most of DAC's albums over the years. And I've even compiled a mix of all my favorites by him. A lot of people aren't aware that he put out a shit TON of music. 39 studio albums, 18 compilation albums, 3 live albums and 10 unreleased albums that I guess were eventually released. DAC is probably my favorite out of all the outlaw country musicians, although I do like them all. :D

I think DAC has an expressive and quite good voice, but oh that corny accent spoils it for me. I just wish country singers didn't sing with *that* accent. Thankfully some of them don't. The real beauty of real old time country music is the story lines and the good, tuneful melodies.

I like it on DAC, but yeah it's a bit corny. I think I just got use to it.

To each his own :thumbs up:

Another guy I really like who isn't outlaw country, but they call his music "Cow Punk", is Dwight Yoakam. He's got a ton of great songs.

The only band I like that I've heard called "Cow Punk" is Nine Pound Hammer. I never heard any Dwight Yoakam, and I'm too prejudiced against country to begin with to listen to any that came out after the '70s.

I am down with ignorance. Word!

Yep. It's a fine song done by a great artist. Just not my style. :)

Hey I listen to Death Metal. Sometimes you just have to give it a chance to grow on you. It was all the beers that really turned me on to this kind of music lol.

The only band I like that I've heard called "Cow Punk" is Nine Pound Hammer. I never heard any Dwight Yoakam, and I'm too prejudiced against country to begin with to listen to any that came out after the '70s.

I am down with ignorance. Word!

I think Dwight Yoakam will have you pleasantly surprised.

You mean like I'm going to walk into a room and Dwight Yoakam is going to suddenly start blowing me? I hope Dwight can also be a girl's name. Or I at least hope he doesn't have a beard!

Well he's clean shaven, but he's totally a cool dude and his music is great. Johnny Cash once said his favorite singer was Dwight Yoakam. So, if you can't take my word for it... Can you take Johnny Cash's word for it? LOL

Oh shit while I'm at it let me show you another guy. He's from Houston, TX. Greg's neck of the woods. His name is Cody Jinks...

Well he's clean shaven, but he's totally a cool dude and his music is great. Johnny Cash once said his favorite singer was Dwight Yoakam. So, if you can't take my word for it... Can you take Johnny Cash's word for it? LOL

Oh shit while I'm at it let me show you another guy. He's from Houston, TX. Greg's neck of the woods. His name is Cody Jinks...

I only take the word of guys who are constantly pilled up on either uppers or downers... so of course I'll take Johnny Cash's word for it. The only guy who's word I'd take over his would be Elvis.

I will listen to a Dwight Yoakam song because I like you and you are selling him pretty hard.

---listened to the Dwight Yoakam song you posted---

This sounds like polka to me. I feel like I should be dancing with an 80-year-old woman. Do they still put out at 80?

Well that's just one song he did that has a bit of a Tejano flavor. LOL. There's many other songs that don't sound anything like that one song. I just like it because of the cool polka/Tejano beat and accordion lol.

Back