Music or lyrics first?

Instrumental or lyrical first?

• Instrumental

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Lyrical

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters

tojo

I am an acoustic singer songwriter (mostly) and I was wondering what works best for others and how you structure lyrics to songs. I personally write the instrumental part first and then make up lyrics.. I find that you can fit in easily, and aren't constricted by how long a verse or chorus is etc... (although I suppose the same can be applied to writing lyrics first)

anyways, I decided to make a poll on it (my first one!)

opinions?

This subject has been discussed on this site several times. But - I'm always willing to contribute to someone's post:D

I almost always start with a chord progression (or possibly a riff - which leads to a chord progression). The mood of the music will normally inspire a ruff melody and that leads me to hum/scat some non-words. Eventually, this turns into some words or phrases - which often may be the lyical "hook". I then spend much time (often over days/weeks) building full verses, etc. to support the hook.

During this development process - the song arrangement will develop as well.

you left out the both option. i do one or the other or both at the same time. rarely works the same way twice.

instrumental with melody always comes first with me. I always have melodies planned out but never set lyrics.

sorry, i didn't know that this had been discussed before...

and sorry, i didn't really get specific and post a poll option for both, it seems like a gray area to me.

I tend to lyrics first. They seem to be the more challenging part to me, so I start with them. It's easier to match music to lyrics than vice versa for me.

Gee, my songs usually come to me in my sleep, whole- music and lyrics "play" in my head, and I have about 30 seconds when I wake up to write 'em down. If I go back to sleep, all I can remember when I wake again is I HAD a new song- it is gone, gone, gone by then.

thats pretty interesting, i've never heard of something like that

What, the dream songs? I dunno if it happens to anyone else, but it's happened to me several times- sometimes I have captured the songs, sometimes I have learned (the hard way) that that one is gone for good. They NEVER come back, not even in subsequent dreams or nights.

Back