most underated song writer

Love Tom Waits...he is a national treasure! John Hiatt and Steve Earle are favorites that will never do an arena tour.... Gillian Welch is a favorite too.... You'll start to see a patern here.

Miles Kurosky is the one of my personal favourite songwriters and I'd consider him completely under-rated.

An Example!

There's some good stuff from him on YouTube and around. Also from his old band, Beulah. Pure genius!

Lots of the names I would have mentioned are already here so I will add two:

Ronnie Lane and Steve Marriott

Not as famous as John and Paul or Mick and Keith but a formidable songwriting duo nonetheless and each capable of holding their own as an individual songwriter. Look for the gems among the songs of the Small Faces, the Faces, Humble Pie, Pete Townsend, Ronnie Lane's Slim Chance, etc.

An extra +1 to the mention of Rory Gallagher. Already an underrated guitarist but a significantly underrated songwriter.

Brian May - freakin wrote we will rock you, fat bottomed girls, show must go on, yet freddie gets all the cheers!
Freddie gets the cheers because a]he was a flamboyant showman b]a damn good songwriter and vocalist and c]he's dead.
Queen were unusual because all four members were songwriters, not group writers like Yes and Genesis, all individual songwriters like 10cc and the Beatles.
I think Brian May was an excellent writer though and versatile too from "Brighton rock" to "39".
As for "We will rock you", the well known version {the "Boob boom ~ BA, Boob boom ~ BA" one} pales before the heavy rock version that opens "Live Killers". I sometimes feel like I'm the only person left alive that even knows that version, let alone rates it.

I think M Ward is very underrated from the folky singer/songwriter genre.

There are a lot, but he comes to mind immediately.

Hmmm . . . a very subjective subject, with many worthy people. I'll go with Jeff Tweedy, Andy Partridge, and Freedy Johnston.

Roky Erickson have/had one of the most incredible voices ever recorded. That could turn sometimes a few lines into a masterpiece.
Pure alien talent. :)

Back