most underated song writer

jimistone

long standing member
the music business lost 2 great songwriters....george harrison..waylon jennings.

they got the respect and regognition they deserve.....but who do you think is the most UNDERATED songwriter?

i would have to say david allen coe....his bad ass image was the hype and his brilliant songwriting got overlooked. alot of his stuff is out of print, some obscure songs that could be major hits if done by the right artist.

also I would have to say otis blackwell. he's the black man that wrote "don't be cruel" "all shook up" and "great balls of fire".....and alot more of the all time great early rock tunes. He got shafted on royalties and sold aslot of his tunes to sam phjillips for drinkin' money.

Brad Roberts would be my fav in this category.

(chris martin? isn't he the guy from coldplay?
hasn't been around long enough to be over- or under-rated!)

Neil Finn - of split enz and crowded house.
- always thought he was a 'classic' rock/pop songwriter that got overlooked - maybe born 20 years too late

Tom Petty - up there with the best of the 'old fogey' crowd - dylan, beatles, etc - but maybe born 10 years to late?

Chris Isaak - should have been working in the 50's, and seems to know it

And I'll third Tom Waits - his lyrics are more in the poetry realm, they're so good

Tons of folky guys who are underrated, if practically unknown

Willie P. Bennet,
Richard Thompson,
Fred Eaglesmith,
John Prine,
ahh... nevermind

The reason Tom Waits was overlooked is because of a PUBLISHING COMPANY! Back in '72 he signed with a company in LA, who sat on his songs for several years because he wouldn't play their game. His most productive (and sober) writing period was stolen by some company twit.
He was also great as Renfield in Bram Stoker's Dracula!

Bob

I think Chris Shaeffer has done some awesome lyrics on a few of his songs.
The story he tells doesn't give the whole song away, for the most part, as some song critics would like. Something for the listeners imagination is nice. Whether he wrote his songs with that in mind, I have no idea.
He's one guy who's stuff I respect and would like to see make it in the songwriting business.

Also, when the lyrics blend with the music, it creates a fuller story. Music in it's self can change a mood, let the mind and soul drift around, etc. When the two, lyrics and music, come together in a marriage, so to speak, that's when, in my opinion, the songwriter has succeeded in capturing the listener.

I second Peter Green...

Black Magic Woman, The Green Manalishi, Man of the World, and Oh Well.

Too bad he was lost. But that gave way for Lindsey Buckingham to be found...

But Peter was inducted into the R&R Hall of Fame with Lindsey and Santana (ie coverer of Black Magic Woman), so in the end he was rated alongside these less overlooked peers... which was neat.

Tom Waits---absolutely--Dr. John--Fred Eaglesmith--
How 'bout Tom Northcott outa' Vancouver--Dylan even covered
one of his tunes(Girl from the North Country--Nashville Skyline)
Jimmy Rankin--I also respect Steve Winwood for being able
to re-invent himself over and over...and last but not least
Robbie Robertson--A canadian who writes Americana with the
best of 'em..

Back