most underated song writer

What about Jerry Jeff Walker? Tom Waits for sure and Danny O'keefe..besides Goodtime Charlie he also wrote "The Road" for Jackson Brown, and Rupurt holmes (yeah I know 'the Pina Colada guy) but a really good tune he wrote that MAnilow did is called "Studio Musician". I'm probably killing myself by admitting these tunes got to me, but they did. Good writing is good writing...

songwriters

All songwriters are underrated. They are practically the only link in the creative chain that is paid a set rate for their earnings.
Bubba

Jim Morrison
Alanis Morrissette
Joe Jackson
Elvis Costello
J.J. Cale
Harry Chapin

ME!!!! :D

Martin L. Gore (Depeche Mode)

He singlehandedly wrote every song the band ever did, other than the first album which sucked because he didn't write it...:D

Everthing counts
People are people
Somebody
Master and servant
Black Celebration
Never let me down
Behind the wheel
Strangelove
Personal Jesus
World in my eyes
Enjoy the silence
Policy of truth
I feel you
Walking in my shoes
Rush
It's no good
Only when I lose myself
Dream on

--------Those are just the "Hits".. The really good songs are the ones that didn't go to radio... He does all the music and lyrics... And 90% of the population has no knowledge of his exsistance....

Depeche Mode is one of them Take 'em or leave em bands... Either you love 'em or you think they bite....

I love em..:)

Joe

Willie Dixon rules! I mean,"Spoonful" "I Just wanna Make Love to You" "Little Red Rooster" he still rules!

I cant believe nobody has mentioned John Hiatt in this thread yet.

Willie Nelson. Not that I'm a country guy, but he's a good song writer. I also like Dave Mathews, but he's certainly not under rated.

Guy Clark, Townes VanZandt (sp?), John Goodman...not mentioned - so I guess they'd be underated or at least overlooked.

Was Jim Croce mentioned? If not - he produced quite a 'flurry' of great songs during his short stay. Neil Young?? I don't know if he'd be considered "underated", but man he's got staying power!

I'm probably the only one on this board who ever mentions these guys.. and quite possibly, the only one here who has any of their original work.

Sean Harris and Brian Tatler of Diamond Head.

Sorry - Steve Goodman

..........(John Goodman is the big guy from Rosanne, right?? - - Wait a damn minuite - how the hell do I KNOW he didn't write some really choice tunes?!).........

never mind.

JD

He doesn't write but he sings!

I knew John Goodman in college and he and I sang Duke of Earl, at a party one night. I played guitar and he sang; both of us were very drunk.

He's a great guy.

I must be p-seye-kick (or is that..co?)

Middleman said:
He doesn't write but he sings!

I knew John Goodman in college and he and I sang Duke of Earl, at a party one night. I played guitar and he sang; both of us were very drunk.

He's a great guy.

That will teach me to 'stick to my guns'!!

What a great story. I'll never watch the re-runs again though, without that song running through my head.

Thanks!

Jimmy D! - Townes Van Zant - definitely underrated.

and John Hiatt.

and Lyle Lovett.

and Jerry Lynn Williams (Running on Faith and a whole bunch of other cool stuff)

foo

Townes

Foo -

I am in full agreement with all of the above!

Hey - If you want a kind-of cool/live CD, get "Together at the Bluebird Cafe" (Steve Earle, Townes Van Zandt, Guy Clark)..

A real small crowd, and they just sort of trade-off songs/stories through the whole thing. I could just as easily sit and listen to TVZ's stories - as his songs! It made me realize that the strength behind his songwriting talent is his 'story-telling' ability. Period.

Let me know how you like the story about how he lost his gold tooth - gambling...

I hope you enjoy it!

JD

I know you're all gonna think I'm crazy, that is... after you finish saying "who?".. but...

Justin Currie from Del Amitri.

I've never seen someone who can come up with so many catchy lyrics and tunes to go with em. As well as a plethora of great one-liners.

Yeah... I know.. you have no idea what I'm talking about... :(

WATYF

Back