March challenge: Record your own song

You are swift off the mark! What are you going to do for the rest of March?

I'll have a listen to it when I get the chance . . . but I need to hear Upfiddler's version first, and I haven't had the chance for even that yet.

You are swift off the mark! What are you going to do for the rest of March?

I'll have a listen to it when I get the chance . . . but I need to hear Upfiddler's version first, and I haven't had the chance for even that yet.

It's not that I'm quick, just that you lot are slow.:D
I actually recorded this back in early December.

....I actually recorded this back in early December.

And so how exactly does this fit with the intent of a Challenge? :( Typically we enter Challenges to help each other grow as writers. :rolleyes: I will be sitting in my self-assigned disappointment corner until further notice. Dave

And so how exactly does this fit with the intent of a Challenge? :( Typically we enter Challenges to help each other grow as writers. :rolleyes: I will be sitting in my self-assigned disappointment corner until further notice. Dave

yeah i don't feel like its a challenge either..

From 8th November 2009

Interesting concept - I'm thinking that I will record the song I write, but will not post the recording, only the lyrics. Once my counterpart records and post his version, I will post my version. It will be fun to hear the interpretations each one has.

This can be an interesting counterpoint to the challenge; to record your own song anyway, then post if after your counterpart has recorded it. The differences could be illuminating.

So what is it that I'm misunderstanding here? :confused:

Commanda, you are correct!! I did make that quote in November and if I had not been so lazy recording my version, I could have posted my version along with yours. I will make the deadline, I mean I still have 30 days!

Charlie

In the past it has been Dave (Upfiddler) who has posted challenges. The challenges have been various, such as writing to a specific theme, style or metre.

For January and February I posted a double challenge: write lyrics on a specific theme (misunderstanding), then write music for and record someone else's lyrics on this theme.

During the course of this challenge, we saw this suggestion:
As an aside, we'll have to start another thread for the contestants to upload their own rendition of their song. Or maybe I'm the only one who has recorded their own song?

I thought it was a good idea . . . it is very much along the lines of what might have been posed as a challenge previously, i.e. write lyrics and compose a song of your own on the theme of 'misunderstanding'.

I'm not sure why it is not being regarded as a challenge by some, except that others have already composed the song and recorded the material, rather than leaving this as a task for March. However, I'm okay with that. There are those who write lyrics best when they have a musical framework in which to set them . . . so they already have a song. That's often the way I work . . . develop the music first, then wait for the lyrics to flow.

Back