Thread: Guitar Solo Example: Improvisation to planned

Thanks

Guitar Solo Example: Improvisation to planned

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey everyone,

I thought that maybe some people may find the following video I made interesting. The video is supposed to be more than just showing a guitar solo but really showing in a brief few minutes how an improvised recording can lead to a great final take. I kept it short for the sake of not blabbering on and on but if it sparks any conversation here I'd be interested in participating. Has anyone else experienced this yet? That is, with no preconvceived notion of what to play or when to play the notes, you just hit record and lay down whatever comes to you in that moment, then when you listen back, it just strikes you? Something about the way to notes/tones/rhythm interact with the backing track just seems it was meant to be? It's interesting trying to go back and recreate that moment.

Thanks
    Nice break! Lots of good ideas in there too. Thanks for sharing the process.

I work in the field of music notation and deal with lots of transcriptions. I often wonder how close things really are compared to the way they were actually played (with regards to positions, etc). Sometimes there are some pretty good clues, but many times it's just an educated guess as to whether an E was played on string 2 or string 3, etc.

I've often wanted to hire someone to transcribe a few of my solos just to see how close they were, but I'm too cheap to do that!
    famous beagle

Thanks
    Hey Beagle,

Thanks for the reply, you bring up a good point! A note has a personality that is brought out by the player and this can sometimes be hard to replicate even for the original artist! To me it's like the difference between natural dialogue and scripted acting. If you ever get around to making a comparison between your solos and someones transcription I'd be interested in the results!

Thread Information