Feedback on my song please - "Give Me A Reason" (Rock Ballad)

Wowzers. Firstly it isn't what I'd call my 'usual cup of tea' :), but that's not to say that it's not going to be to someone else's flavour.

Anyway, who am I to sit here and give a critique of someone else's work - I pump out shyte like a newborn baby.

IMO, and IMO only - I'm liking the guitar, that's solid. I have absolutely no idea of what the lyrics are, or what the hell is going on there. Call me 'old fashioned' but I kinda like to hear the words and let the melody come through - I may have well rubbed sandpaper over my face for all the enjoyment I'm getting from those, but Marilyn Manson can make a tune that people like, so i guess it works for some, and not for others.

Ermmmmmmm, what else? Nahhhhh not for me mate, but hey-ho.

I can't give you the reason. You already fucked it up good enough. :D

I love it! For real.
Although i wouldn't play it in my car cause not really my style ... you did a great job making something different which still sounds strangely good/funny/nice.
Pleasant extremely different but not annoying. Well done. :thumbs up:

I personally would cut some slight base on the vocals though. To much low.

Thanks for the critique guys. Honestly the "song" was just for laughs :P Personally I did like the guitar riff, and then I decided to record shite all over it, hence the "gimme a reason not to fuck up this song"

You posted this in the songwriting forum, so I guess you want suggestions on composition. Move it over to the MP3 Clinic and I will have a LOT to say about the massive proximity effect of the vocal.

I'm just curious what you're aiming for. The lyrics as I heard them asked, "give me one good reason to fuck up this song." Are these filler lyrics that you plan to redo in the future? I noticed your site dates the song to 2011. If you were planning on adding lyrics, no time like the present. Or is this kind of a novelty/throwaway song that is supposed to be ostentatiously obnoxious? If so, were you looking for suggestions at all?

I though you had the nucleus of a catchy song here, but to me it's an artifact from an early stage of the songwriting process. Do you want to develop it?

You posted this in the songwriting forum, so I guess you want suggestions on composition. Move it over to the MP3 Clinic and I will have a LOT to say about the massive proximity effect of the vocal.

I'm just curious what you're aiming for. The lyrics as I heard them asked, "give me one good reason to fuck up this song." Are these filler lyrics that you plan to redo in the future? I noticed your site dates the song to 2011. If you were planning on adding lyrics, no time like the present. Or is this kind of a novelty/throwaway song that is supposed to be ostentatiously obnoxious? If so, were you looking for suggestions at all?

I though you had the nucleus of a catchy song here, but to me it's an artifact from an early stage of the songwriting process. Do you want to develop it?

Well, your assumptions are pretty spot on and the answers to your questions may be obvious. Back when I made this I started from the guitar riff. I too thought it sounded pretty good so I recorded it like I do with most riff ideas I have. Then I added "placeholder" drums to remember what kind of beat I was going for. After doing all that I was too tired/lazy to keep going and I was bored, so I thought "hey fuck it let's record something on top of that as well, I mean I got the important stuff down". So I recorded the ridiculous vocals with pretty much nonsensical lyrics apart from the distinct "gimme a reason not to fuck up this song", which was what was going through my head as I was fucking up the song that had a riff I liked. I never got back to actually developing the song and finishing it. So years later I listen to it again and thought it was pretty funny. That's when I decided to post it on here as a joke, but it looks like people kind of get it or like it, and now I'm torn between making this into a joke song or an actual song (leaning more towards the former).

Back