Difficulty of composition.

Patrickshortall

Hi,

Just wondering, do you guys generally play and compose to your ability, try to stretch yourself or just play below your ability for simplicity?

I do what is comfortable UNTIL I hear a certain part in my head that needs to be in the song. Then I try to learn to play it even if it's beyond my abilities. If I fail miserably, then I call White Strat to play it for me. :D

I find arrangement to be the most difficult part of composing a song. Most times, I stick myself into a verse/chorus rut and I'm too lazy to go beyond that.

If it's beyond my ability (not to difficult to believe on the guitar), I try to get my brother to do the guitar work and it's if good writing...then I'm gonna record it. If it's simplistic, but good writing, I don't care...gonna record it. If it's where I'm at...and good writing, I don't care...gonna record it. :D

I just write the music. If it's good, I'll record it or find help to do so.

I'm working on a fully orchestrated opera - it should be completed soon. Working out the Oboe parts tonight.

It depends on what kind of song you are composing. Both four-on-the-floor and odd-time poly rhythms are valid formats. Why limit yourself?

I do everything myself, until I can't then I'm not too proud to ask my excellent pianist friend to finish things off. It's destructive to the end product to limit your imagination with your less than perfect fingers - changing it to something you CAN play is a destructive move!

I know this is a cliché answer - but I let the song dictate if the musical composition needs to be more complex. Most of what I write are based around lyrics that tell a relatively relatable story - and often simple is best. I try to be a little more creative than a standard I-IV-V - but many of my songs have 7 or less total chords (I try to make the arrangement clever if the chord structure is basic).

That being said - I have forced myself to stretch when composing a few instrument pieces where I try to write more complex chord structures and arrangements and try to creating complex orchestral arrangements - which often pushes my 32 channels of MIDI sound modules to the max.

On occasion, I'll bring in someone who can execute a performance better than I can - but for the most part, I simply push myself to learn and execute the parts that I need to complete a song. I've probably improved my playing more by forcing myself to learn parts than I would by practicing scales, etc.

I have a low tolerance for the mundane, so I'm always searching for different ways of using sounds and constructing songs. That means I'm always struggling to play what I am unable to play, which is really annoying. I hear things in my head that I am unable to reproduce physically. Like others have mentioned, I often end up calling in people to do the bits I can't do.

I've never imagined something in one of my songs that I couldn't play myself - which is not to say that if I gave said tune to someone else and said "I need a keyboard part here" that they wouldn't come up with something better than I put there... it's a blindness, I guess, or an arrogance... but then again, I don't know many other musicians, so it's all a bit moot...

Obviously there are things I can't play at all that would be nice to have, and that can't really be done with digital equivalents... see previous comment about not knowing many other musicians...:D

I often end up with parts just complex enough that I cannot play them consistently throughout the song wihtout messing up at some point. I love digital - record lots of tracks and comp the good parts together. :thumbs up:

Thanks Mike, glad I'm not the only one. Currently working on a lick I cannot play AT ALL. My brother's not available, so I'm recording one note at a time and placing them...Not ideal, but it works.

Finally got it sorted without resorting to that...took me two days to play the guitar lick I wrote. And it doesn't even sound that hard. I'm just not a great guitarist...:)

Oh dear god

Sorry, sometimes it hurts to be honest about our abilities. Can't play that well, but actually hit the progression this morning and got three overlays that sound good together. I was actually proud of myself...just for a minute :) Ended up having to play the guitar with my fingers like a bass to get the speed. Whatever works in a pinch...

Back