Composing bridges ???

mark skinner

After finishing 22 songs on 2 cds Ive realized only 2 of them had a bridge at all. I have no problem with verse , chorus , or breaks , but bridges seem to be a shortcoming on some of my music . Any suggestions would be great . Even a Nashville number system basic rule would help. Thanks...

There are too many variable for a set answer, but I find in a major key, using a relative minor (such as the VI minor) can change the feel enough to distinguish the bridge. Sometime, the IV can work (depending on if you are already using the IV for the chorus).

I think the key in writing a bridge is to change the story line content - so it goes in a slightly different direction while still supporting the primary story line - and then have the chords (in particular the 1st chord of the bridge) clearly define that a change has occurred.

A 'bridge' is supposed to lead from one side to the other - or in the case of a song from one section to the other. Lyrically, it should define a change in the story/theme leading to the final conclusion/idea, but sometimes just presents a different point of view before the final refrain.

Last edited:
Just listen to some of your favorite songs...Pay attention to t:cool:he ones that have bridges and disect what is going on? Melody, chords, drums, lyrics, ect. Once you understand what they did then you will have some kind of idea of what you like since this is a song you happen to like already! My 2 cents

I put a bridge into 90 percent of my songs. After 25 years it's second nature. A bridge is anything you want it to be. Something that compliments both verse and chorus while at the same time can take you out and back into the song. Done in a complimentary cord or the same cord with a different melody. No hard rules apply. Pay particular attention to older music and country and observe the bridges they use.

I think a bridge is an effective way to switch gears in a song. For examples sake the old country song "looking for love"

The guy is talking about how he had such lousy luck trying to find a "friend and a lover" and the chorus he is explaining that he is looking for love in all the wrong places. That's 2 verses.
Then instead of another verse to talk about finally finding someone, the song goes into a bridge:
"You came knocking at my hearts door and you're everything I was looking for"
Then they tack "no more" to the looking for love chorus of the song. They did in one line what it would have taken another entire verse to say...plus... the chord changes on that bridge sound great and really give the final chorus a great lead in
A bridge can also make a transition from verse to chorus of they are saying something very different.

I always write the bridges for my band. It's gotten to the point where the bastards are expecting me to do it and so they come in with two sections written.

Relative major/minor is usually what I try first, but it's situational.

An upwards modulation by one or two semitones can really work at the end of a bridge. You probably all already knew this anyway...

I've always looked at a bridge as a transition to a key change. I rarely change key (I rarely play IN a key) so don't use 'em.

Back