Chord Notation - Refresh My Memory

Jazz chords are always interesting and a good way of learning new ways of doing things. I think it wasn;t that long ago that I saw my first '5' chord. A5 - and I scratched my head for a while. 5? then I realise it signified the lack of the 3rd in the triad - not Major, not minor - essential a power chord. A-D-A in this case. Never seen it notated before. Since then I've seen it a few times, but I guess my music style wouldn't have this chord in it very often, so while perfectly proper, I'd not seen it before. Music theory is never dull. Always appears to be, of course.

Jazz chords are always interesting and a good way of learning new ways of doing things. I think it wasn;t that long ago that I saw my first '5' chord. A5 - and I scratched my head for a while. 5? then I realise it signified the lack of the 3rd in the triad - not Major, not minor - essential a power chord. A-D-A in this case. Never seen it notated before. Since then I've seen it a few times, but I guess my music style wouldn't have this chord in it very often, so while perfectly proper, I'd not seen it before. Music theory is never dull. Always appears to be, of course.

Hey, I've heard of '5' chords before. Except A5 isn't A, D, A!! :eek: :D

A5 is really common. More common in punk/rock than Jazz, tbh. It's just A and E (hence the 5. 5th away).

Ooops - Got that chord very wrong didn't i!

I just discovered something - Cubase (which I've been using for years (and showing chords in the Bbm type notation, does it because that is what I told it to, and by default it shows that chord as Bb- I never new that!

Last edited:
Score editor - it analyses the midi notes and tells you what chord it is - this is in the really basic scoring on Cubase elements on my mac, and pro 9 on my PC system has much better score facilities - it's surprising the chord analysis is on the cheap version.

Back