acoustic guitar chunes

is there a place in modern 'popular' music for acoustic guitars?

• no, acoustic music is totally gay

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Ryan Adams. He has some great acoustic stuff, especially Love Is Hell parts 1 & 2. His cover of Wonderwall is amazing.

I personally love the acoustic guitar, I think it has a bit of a personal touch and it's almost more intimate. You can get feelings across on an acoustic that you just can't get on an electric. I know personally I feel more reserved with my playing on an acoustic. As opposed to trying to play flashy leads or what not. I'll try to find something that sounds really funky. Some slap style ala Jack Johnson or some neat finger picking style like Lindsay Buckingham.
But it's totally an aquired taste. And for some music styles acoustic's just don't right. I mean like Death Metal, just wouldn't sound right, I guess if it's in the hands of the wrong player.

Dave Matthews
John Mayer
Jack Johnson
Eric Clapton
Lindsay Buckingham

Those are just some of the players that don't just get a basic acoustic strumming sound, they can get some really great tones, riffs, and such going on.

oh man i hope acoustic comes "in" a bit more.

what i've been doing for some time is trying to be way ahead of things. I've been learning grade 8 classical songs at college and some really hard pieces, and then i've got this ear for jazz and strange acoustic stuff. i also love playing my cello and guitar. as you could guess i sound like nick drake sorta. i absolutely love 5 leaves left and it's one of my biggest influences. i haven't known him for but a year, but he has captured what i was shooting for before i heard him.

i've been really hoping dave matthews, dashboard, bright eyes, and this very cool layered (sufjan stevens, caleb engstrom) wave will keep people looking for something more complex and up to nick drake standard. man, he was waaaaaaaay ahead of his time. if you haven't heard him, he's a genius of songwriting and guitar, which gets perfects complimented by robert kirby's string arrangements. check out five leaves left as soon as possible

wow, thread still going!
it's mad tho, cos since it started, acoustic singer/songwriters have been coming from everywhere - james blunt, kt tunstall, daniel powter, just to name a few.

one of my fave acoustic tracks still tho is Bron-Yr-Aur by Led Zep.

Last edited:
Handsome Al said:
I'm totally amazed this is still going cos it was such a daft question in the first place!!!!

This thread is older than my guitar. (1974 D-28, one owner) I still like it though :D DAve.

I think its easier to get a good sound out of an electric. I also think when acoustic is done correctly, which takes talent, it can blow people away.

I just caught wind of this guys Damien Rice. Nothing flashy acoustic guitar wise or even vocally.... but its like the guy locked himself away and missed the evolution (degredation) of music the last lets say..... 20 years, and you're hearing something UN-influenced by anything as of lately.
You certainly can't lump him in with the current crop of emo-boys, I think a producer or exec found him playing on the street.
Check out "Cannonball", or "The Blower's Daughter"

I have always played in "Hard rock/metal" bands. Now that I have dubbed myself a "solo artist", I have found myself writing alot more acoustic songs. I am currently putting together a CD with a song writing buddy. We have 20 songs between us so far, and half of them are acoustic. We have discussed doing a half/half type CD, but are afraid it will not be accepted by listeners because metal heads only want heavy tunes, and easy listeners only want soft acoustic stuff. At this time we are looking at cutting the acoustic songs down to 2 for the CD, and maybe doing an acoustic EP. If anyone likes acoustic guitar songs here is the first one we have finished recording. Don't know if it will make the cut to the CD. Would welcome any feedback.
Check out the song "HOPES FADING" at:

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2878&alid=-1

Long live the acoustic!!

Wow, what a good song!

Mike

Check out the song "HOPES FADING" at:
http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2878&alid=-1
Long live the acoustic!!

Wow Toker, thats great. Just think your voice (?) is great. So is the song. A little more hooky choruslines and we are looking at hit material.
Don´t get me wrong; this is catchy enough, but you know - radio listeners :D
I´m listening for the second time now. Very smart intro too; short and effective.

If you should split the album it I don´t know. The only black metal dude I know wouldn´t have this on his iPod. It would hurt his image o_O
You could get that song pitched in a heartbeat for tvshow play at taxi.com. If not - I would eat my hat if I had one.

If it´s possible, I would gladly pay you to do vocals on one of my ballads one day; when I come up with something that really deserves such a great voice.

/bow

Back