acoustic guitar chunes

is there a place in modern 'popular' music for acoustic guitars?

• no, acoustic music is totally gay

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

brummygit

hello all
as i write a lot of tunes on acoustic guitar, and then alot of the time 'electric' them up, i was wandering..
how much is there a place in modern 'popular' music for acoustic stuff?

bit of a daft question, but im kinda impressed with the number of cool songs on here that have been left acoustic without hiding behind overdrive and effects.

any thoughts?

i think theres definitely a place for accoustic music today. maybe it wont go to the top 40, ,, i love the dashboard confessional album swiss army romance, its only guitar and vocals, and one of the songs i think won a grammy.

i think it's a really silly question; don't think there's an issue here at all.

acoustic guitar vs. electric guitar is a creative choice, not some sort of definitive categorisation. (a good) acoustic guitar sounds great, if played well. same applies for an electric guitar. top 40?? instrumentation isn't what'll get you into the charts. good songs will. Outkast's single "Hey ya!" was based on acoustic guitar rhythms, most of the recent singles produced by the Neptunes rely on acoustic rhythms (e.g. Justin Timberlake's stuff). Norah Jones is full of acoustic instrumentation.

sometimes it works, sometimes electric works better. succesful people make the right choices.

NationalSandwic said:
i think it's a really silly question; don't think there's an issue here at all.

acoustic guitar vs. electric guitar is a creative choice, not some sort of definitive categorisation. (a good) acoustic guitar sounds great, if played well. same applies for an electric guitar. top 40?? instrumentation isn't what'll get you into the charts. good songs will. Outkast's single "Hey ya!" was based on acoustic guitar rhythms, most of the recent singles produced by the Neptunes rely on acoustic rhythms (e.g. Justin Timberlake's stuff). Norah Jones is full of acoustic instrumentation.

sometimes it works, sometimes electric works better. succesful people make the right choices.

What he said. [And by the way, if the person quoted is a woman, I apologize if any offense was caused by my use of the generic "he."]

YeshuasFan said:
What he said. [And by the way, if the person quoted is a woman, I apologize if any offense was caused by my use of the generic "he."]

dont get me wrong, i agree with this. though i dont think its a silly question - as times and styles of music change, i think its a very relevent question, especially when there's so much processed, manufactured and uncreative shit in the charts these days.

Currently on top of the sales list in norway is Ane Brun - a temporary dive. A singer/songwriter in the melancoly street. Gitar and voice for the most. Some of the arrangements has strings and some has a small portion of percussion instruments. Other than that, it's only her and her guitar. The critics love it here in Scandinavia. Not my kind of music, but still on the sales top. Don't know for how long though.

I guess I will add my two cents... I love acoustic guitar. If the MTV unplugged thing hadn't gotten out of hand, it was one of my favorite things about MTV. Now there is nothing about MTV that even remotely interests me. But back on topic, acoustic music sounds more "soulful", at least to me. It's easy to play a brilliant, lightning fast lead on an electric axe. Try that same thing on an acoustic. If you can pull it off, you are a guitar god....

I have always played in "Hard rock/metal" bands. Now that I have dubbed myself a "solo artist", I have found myself writing alot more acoustic songs. I am currently putting together a CD with a song writing buddy. We have 20 songs between us so far, and half of them are acoustic. We have discussed doing a half/half type CD, but are afraid it will not be accepted by listeners because metal heads only want heavy tunes, and easy listeners only want soft acoustic stuff. At this time we are looking at cutting the acoustic songs down to 2 for the CD, and maybe doing an acoustic EP. If anyone likes acoustic guitar songs here is the first one we have finished recording. Don't know if it will make the cut to the CD. Would welcome any feedback.
Check out the song "HOPES FADING" at:

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2878&alid=-1

Long live the acoustic!!

Elliott Smith yeah!

I was just thinking that.

I don't mean to offend anyone here, but isn't it boring to think of music as a way to make money all the time?
I'm not saying there's something wrong with making money from your music, but as you sit down to write a song - isn't the result always better and more interesting if you write for the sake of writing? For the sake of making yourself go "wow! did I just come up with that?".

I wish I could say that (all) successfull music is written that way, but as we all know that's not true. It's mostly utter shit. Well...

Personally I don't even understand how anyone can write a song that sounds ok to them. Who want's to make a mediocre song???

Just to clarify, I'm not saying I'm one of the people who can write amazing songs, just expressing my opinion :)

Well; I'm trying to write songs that can make an income. But creativity is in the driving seat. The moneymaker ghost is sitting in the back row. I have to be satisfied with the result. Have to like it.
It's more like that guy on the back row keeps yelling these small messages all the time like.... "Remember catchy now. Catchy!" "no more than a 12 second intro"
Things like that. To keep it within the formula.
But hey; a genious song might even break the boundaries of the mainstream pop formula and still make it to the charts. But a mediocre song that breaks the formula won't get past the A&R's. Simple as that.
At least; thats what I strive for.

Everything I write these days is done on acoustic. It is just much easier to pickup the acoustic and not worry about any settings (not much to fiddle with). I can mess around while watching tv, camping, or take it with me on vacation. If you get a few people playing along the sound can be amazing. Plus it is really hard to fake somebody out while playing an acoustic. What you hear is what you get.

I love my $50 acoustic guitar, one of the more sound invesments I've made in my life!

Back