12/8 or 4/4 with a triplet feel

I just listened. I didn't have a problem with that one. The first note of the bass is on the "1" and remained there for me. Sometimes we have mental blocks for some things that others don't have a problem with.

I have a mental block with Jimi's version of "All Along the Watchtower". I still, to this day, have trouble coming in with the lead after the intro. I'm still looking for the "1" all these years later.

Oh yeah, you're not alone with that one. It took me a long time to realize that the first chords are on "and 4 and..."

Oh yeah, you're not alone with that one. It took me a long time to realize that the first chords are on "and 4 and..."
Right. Exactly. 3 pick up notes (or chords). I always hear it as "4-&-duh duh duh duh". Even knowing what it is, I still tighten up and freak out every time I try to get it.

I just listened. I didn't have a problem with that one. The first note of the bass is on the "1" and remained there for me. Sometimes we have mental blocks for some things that others don't have a problem with.

I have a mental block with Jimi's version of "All Along the Watchtower". I still, to this day, have trouble coming in with the lead after the intro. I'm still looking for the "1" all these years later.

Oh yeah, sorry. I described it backwards.
I always think the kick-heartbeat thing is telling me where 1 is, but it turns out to be offbeat.

Folks!

I hate to see contention over such a basic issue among fellow members. I am a *** Laud Graduate with a B.A. in Music, btw. IMHO, the most incorrect meter of the three in contention, would be 6/8. Why? Because essentially any such notation involves where the accents lay, which of course takes into account drum/bass accents, as one member has mentioned here. Frankly, the most accurate of the posts I have read in this thread go to: "Famous Beagle": "Same thing with 6/8 and 12/8. You could count either one {but one is more accurate}. I would personally call this tune 12/8 before 6/8 simply because the guitar riff lasts for four pulses before it repeats (1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12), so it seems logical to me that you would divide the measure there." I have been playing this song since way before most of you were probably even around. The "4/4 with a triplet feel" or "12/8" are more accurate than "6/8" because of where the four measure accents actually lay. How you notate a song only matters that it authentically represents the actual song itself, and sometimes that may differ, as long as the result is the same. 12/8 & 4/4 with triplet accents are essentially the same to the human ear, just notated differently. 6/8 changes the accents to the first beat of the first and third measures, instead of every four measures, with the 6/8 not being the correct meter for this song due to the four chord cycle involved. It is certainly possible to interpret and notate any song/musical piece however you wish, just as long as it is notated in the matter you actually are seeking, as to how others would interpret it. My friends, I always say: "Peace, Love, and Harmony, oh, and Meter too..."

Back