Terms of musical harmony

semsem612

Terms of musical harmony

Counter Point
Is multiple melodies played at the same time.

Canon
is a compositional technique that employs a melody with one or more imitations of the melody played after a given duration (e.g., quarter rest, one measure, etc.)

A round
is a musical composition in which two or more voices sing exactly the samemelody (and may continue repeating it indefinitely), but with each voice beginning at different times so that different parts of the melody coincide in the different voices. (So a round is a type of canon).
The one major difference between a round and a canon is that each voice in the round always starts on the same note, while in a canon, the second voice starts a few notes higher than the first voice.

Imitation
Is two or more parts that have the same or similar phrase beginning and with delays between
entrances (as in a round or canon), but after the beginning of the phrase, the parts diverge into separate melodies.

Oblique motion
occurs when one voice remains on a single pitch while the other ascends or descends.

Contrary motion
melodic motion in which one part rises in pitch while the other descends.

Parallel motion
*is motion in the same direction, keeping the same interval between them.
Parallel motion at an interval of a fifth is known as parallel fifths, and at an interval of an*octave*is known as parallel octaves.

Consonance
is a combination of notes that sound pleasant to most people when played at the same time; as in the two notes of the octave.

Dissonance
is a combination of notes that sound harsh(bad) or unpleasant to most people. Such as the minor second i.e. the notes B and C or the notes C and D bemol.
Dissonance can be used in musical drama to create extreme tension.

Last edited:
Oblique motion
occurs when one voice remains on a single pitch while the other ascends or descends.

Contrary motion
melodic motion in which one part rises in pitch while the other descends.

Parallel motion
*is motion in the same direction, keeping the same interval between them.
Parallel motion at an interval of a fifth is known as parallel fifths, and at an interval of an*octave*is known as parallel octaves.

I even googled it! I'm aware the US don't use traditional European terms, like crotchet, quaver, minims and semi-breve but I though sharp and flat were universal. Is there another US term for sharp?

You're joking, right? Diaz??? Never ever heard diaz or bemol mentioned by any musician in the UK. Again, Google here finds no mention of it at all. You occasionally see the French term on band music with French musicians - usually hand written though.

Got it! My musical education is sadly lacking - but they're not European terms, they're Arabic! Hence why I'd not ever heard the terms before. Funny how common language often let's you down on this kind of stuff. I've got the boot=trunk, bonnet=hood things, but never realised the US would be using Arabic terms in preference to sharps and flats, which is what every kid gets taught at school.

Do you use the same symbol for these terms - so key sigs would be Db, or F#, I wonder because the sharp symbol isn't on a mac keyboard over here?

Got it! My musical education is sadly lacking - but they're not European terms, they're Arabic! Hence why I'd not ever heard the terms before. Funny how common language often let's you down on this kind of stuff. I've got the boot=trunk, bonnet=hood things, but never realised the US would be using Arabic terms in preference to sharps and flats, which is what every kid gets taught at school.

Do you use the same symbol for these terms - so key sigs would be Db, or F#, I wonder because the sharp symbol isn't on a mac keyboard over here?

I am going to be honest, I've never heard of those terms and I am in the US. Most people I know (self taught) use the "#" and "b" and call them sharps and flats. So the terms the OP posted must be of a very academic nature.

May be and from now on i am going to use the terms ( flat and sharp) since they are much common. Thanks for caring.

That's right Sir. I have learned something new and i hope too that i have added some new terms for those who concerns.

I've asked my music friends - some very highly qualified concert pianists, and although one erroneously said Arabic origin - which is wrong, I have found one friend who knew.

He tells me that it's French, German and Italian usage. Sharp and flat as in diese or bemol in French, diesis or bemolle in Italian!

I've asked my music friends - some very highly qualified concert pianists, and although one erroneously said Arabic origin - which is wrong, I have found one friend who knew.

He tells me that it's French, German and Italian usage. Sharp and flat as in diese or bemol in French, diesis or bemolle in Italian!

Looked it up, not great in German, but I had ever heard these terms (or I don't remember), so I looked it up. It goes something like (C)es for flat and (C)is for sharp.

Back