Singing like a folk singer..looking for feedback

wannabe516

Hello all,

I have been lurking on this site for a few months now and have gotten some good advice. I am building a small home studio.

I currently have:

Allen and Heath Zed10FX mixing board
AKG Perception 220 for vocals and acoustic guitars
Various acoustic and electric guitars and amplifiers
Moog Little Phatty Synth and Midi Controller
Alesis SR-16 (had this for years)
Yamaha Electric Drum Kit (my son plays drums)

I have been trying to learn how to sing. I have years of guitar playing experience, piano, etc. I understand music and have played in bands, but never as a vocalist.

I am trying to learn a few folk songs by singers like John Prine. I figure they usually sound like they are doing more "talking" then "singing" so how hard can it be? Anyway, I know this is rough but I would appreciate any feedback you guys (and girls) can offer. Here is the track:

View attachment Angel from Montgomery2.mp3

how hard can it be?

Harder than you thought it would be,I bet! ;)

First of all....loosen up on the reverb. The amount you have injected on your voice is awful.

As for your voice...It needs some training and practice. Particularly in pitch control. Learn to breath properly while singing. It will help you smooth out the rough edges. But of course a few rough edges is something you would hear in the genre you are playing. Keep it up. Thanks for sharing.

Hello Pegger,

Thanks for your reply. It is harder than I thought for sure. I will dial back the reverb next time. Any suggestions on breathing and pitch control?

Back