Rate my wife's singing?? See link.

subsidel

I keep telling her she sounds pretty good but she seems to have little confidence... (though she doesn't seem nervous when singing).

Anyway FINALLY i managed to persuade her to record her voice (no webcam on my laptop to actually see her sing it).

Here's link:Playing Song by nat by Natalie - picosong. Thanx for listening and could you rate??:D

She doesn't sound confident. She is pitchy.
The recording itself clips mercilessly when she gets louder. Re-record it with a proper microphone if you want good feedback.

Of course the recording doesn't do any favours, but I think there's a decent voice under there.
For a quick test recording she's on pitch enough for my liking.
Although room ambience is usually a very bad thing in home recording, you'd be better getting her to stand a few feet back with your current recording equipment. That'd help to avoid distortion when she goes for the louder parts.

I get that quality wasn't your aim here, but it'd be easier, and nicer to assess.
Do you record, yourself, or are you just posting on her behalf for feedback?

Welcome, either way.

If she isn't motivated or want to get better, there is no use of you trying to help her by posting her songs.

I would have her redo it a few times and when she feels like she got a good take, post it here. Unless you are a very very good singer, people don't get it right the first time. If you force something on to people, it usually shows, especially in singing.

Of course the recording doesn't do any favours, but I think there's a decent voice under there.
For a quick test recording she's on pitch enough for my liking.
Although room ambience is usually a very bad thing in home recording, you'd be better getting her to stand a few feet back with your current recording equipment. That'd help to avoid distortion when she goes for the louder parts.

I get that quality wasn't your aim here, but it'd be easier, and nicer to assess.
Do you record, yourself, or are you just posting on her behalf for feedback?

Welcome, either way.

Yeah i think she was too close to the microphone so its very hard to hear the high pitch notes. I just posted this on to see if others thought she was alright... she doesn't know i posted this (prob go mad for me posting it haha).

Recording quality aside, she has a reasonable voice. If she is willing to make the effort, she would benefit from vocal coaching to help with breathing and voice control.

Very pitchy at times but I guess she as never had any coaching. The voice has a nice tone and with the right practice it's possible to get something out of it. Good luck and keep us updated if she is going to give it a try.

The tone of her voice is soothing.

I would up the quality of the recording a lot more, if it were me. Singers should never sound like they’re afraid to sing “too loud”. Singers’ always realize the freedom to be as powerful as they want in a studio.

Amazing things can happen when someone stands in front of an inverted studio microphone with headphones on. A backing track to sing along with can open up creativity, phrasing, pitch control and confidence.

A slight bit of delay or reverb in her headphones, often helps gain larger than life feeling during a performance, which can also inspire one’s inner voice to shine. Ya gotta help create that mood!:thumbs up:

I agree with the others, it sounds like she has a nice voice but now she needs to put in the work. No matter what anyone says you don't come out of the womb belting it like Amy Lee. Everytime she gets to the end of a note it falls off and shakes. She needs to learn how to breath properly and support her notes properly. That will make a TON of difference. If she really wants to sing get her a vocal coach (sounds like it would be crazy expensive but you can find one most likely for less than $50 a lesson) and then put in the time and effort.

Also so she can get a real idea of what she sounds like, get a decent mic (shure sm57) you can get it used for $50 - $75. Get a cheap interface and hook it up to the pc and record. Read the newbie section for more/better advice on getting started with that.

Everytime she gets to the end of a note it falls off and shakes. She needs to learn how to breath properly and support her notes properly. That will make a TON of difference. If she really wants to sing get her a vocal coach (sounds like it would be crazy expensive but you can find one most likely for less than $50 a lesson) and then put in the time and effort.

That caught my attention too - Good call.
Even save some money and hit up youtube for tutorials to test the waters.
The ratio of good tutors to idiots is discouraging, but if you look you will find. :)

Top tip - If you youtuber says "you guys" in the first ten seconds, just close the window because he's going to talk shit for fifteen minutes.

Thanx for your opinions. I guess it would be helpful if she stayed abit further away from the mic (to get a better recording on the high notes). The mic i borrowed from my brother should be ok enough although i could be wrong (its a Blue Yeti-USB-Microphone) but it doesn't help if we've not set up the mic properly + singing too close to it. I'm not too sure she really wants to sing... she seems to get embarressed/ confidence seem low... hence why i thought i'd see if i could get opinions and maybe change her mind abit haha (not forcing btw). Didn't have much time today to tempt her to sing again... i'll see what happens tomorrow- although i guess she would need lessons and stuff regardless. What i was thinking of doing was maybe make some youtube vids or something too (once i get a webcam) to build her confidence + for fun too perhaps.

There are two issues you have to deal with:

1 The quality of your wife's voice and whether she wants to do anything with it

2 The quality of your recordings and whether you want to do anything about it.

Normally, these are unrelated: your wife's singing has nothing to do with your recordings.

However, in this case, there may be a connection.

If your wife is lacking confidence, and thinks maybe she sounds awful, this way well be reinforced by the sound of the recordings.

If you were to record her voice and give it a treatment that made it sound half presentable, she may be pleasantly surprised, and that may encourage her.

Does she want to sing, or do you want her to sing?

The clipping sort of set my teeth on edge, as did the material. I'd say she'll be able to hold a tune, but she'll need to work on "finding her voice" - the tone didn't do much for me, but that means nothing really right now, singing is not just about holding a tune - she could be a great singer in time, who knows, but there's work that needs to be done.

And if you want to not go the $50 singing lessons route, why not see if she'd be interested in joining a local choir - non-threatening environment and free coaching... :-)

Interesting...

I have 3 words for you ....Auto tune.

Give her a break! I would rather hear a voice with character than Autotuned perfection (Special effects excepted!). There's enough of that going around. A little work goes a long way. I think there have been lots of good suggestions here and I agree the local choir would be helpful and welcome a new voice. What better way to build confidence and get critique in a non-threatening atmosphere (usually). You might get her a few sing along CDs and ask around for a sympathetic garage studio geek needing a voice to practice on (like me!). Of course if she doesn't want to perform at all, not even the "round the piano" Christmas get together you're probably wasting your dream of being married to Adel so enjoy the occasional concert from the shower/reverb chamber.
Enjoy!

Listening to your sample, and putting aside clipping and other recording deficits, I sense that she's holding back her voice, almost as if she's trying to sing quietly. I'm guessing that that is due to lack of confidence, and yes, embarrassment at having to sing in front of another human being (been there, done that on both counts). If she really wants to be a singer (and to be any good at it, she really needs to want it), then there are some great suggestions here, and you'll have to be patient and supportive. The basic quality of her voice sounds good, and while she's not dead on pitch, she's in the ballpark. She has material that a voice coach can work with.

BUT -- If she doesn't really want to be a singer, she's not going to have any real goal to motivate her to improve her singing. And that means it's probably a good idea to find another singer for your work.

To paraphrase an old axiom: "Never try to teach your reluctant wife to sing -- it wastes your time and annoys the wife". Dangerous territory. . .:D

Back