New at singing. Am I passable? Friend of the devil - Call me the breeze

CousinJohn

Hello there,

I just recorded myself singing and I would like a little feedback, I have been playing guitar for a while but I started singing just now.

I have never sang in front of anyone and I wanted to know if I suck really bad... I am fine if I don't sing great but I don't want to be that guy that sings horribly bad and gives everyone a bad time by singing in front of them... I want to know if I am passable, if I can use my voice to go with my guitar a little.

I know for sure I need a lot more practice though, so if you can give me any advice... I am totally new at this, I don't really know if I should sing higher or lower than my normal voice, right now I use my normal voice for it.

Also, do you guys think I have potential? Should I keep practicing or just focus on the guitar and forget about this?

Thank you very much for your time! It means a lot to me!

Here are some samples I just recorded with my shitty desktop microphone:

Friend of the devil:
Vocaroo | Voice message

Call me the breeze:
Vocaroo | Voice message

**** Also, I am spanish... Can you notice a very strong accent in the songs? Do I hide it well? :D

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0rKq4LANMYP Bonus sample from yesterday :DDD

Last edited:
Seriously....

Why can't you tell? You play an instrument... therefore you understand music - pitch, tone etc.. Therefore you should be able to understand whether you fulfil the mechanics of singing or not.

Everyone can sing.

Record yourself singing something without the guitar, then listen to it on its own for pitch, tone etc. and work it out - you'll learn more from that than what I'm about to tell you...

...which is, you're pitchy here and there and you sing like someone who doesn't know whether they can sing or not - ie. tentatively. I've heard a lot worse. The basics are there.

Go record just the guitar, then sing to it over and over and over and over it again without playing the guitar and you'll improve, and at some point, you'll really start to "sing"...

Thank you very much for your reply. :)

I seriously can't tell, I have played the guitar for a while as a hobby, I've taught myself and... I really don't know much about music theory. I don't really like the sound of my own voice (like it happens to most people) and it's not hard to see people that think they sing fine but really don't... And are embarrassing to listen to. I can't judge my voice objectively so I wanted to know if I suck as much as those people do and just don't realize.

Thank you very much for the advice, I will do everything you told me, once and again until I can notice any improvements.

See you around! :)

You have a bit of an accent and I think that your guitar might be out of tune in "Friend of the Devil".

There are some pitchy notes and unmusical parts to your vocal but it isn't tone deaf.

Back