Lonesome road blues...folk style...vocal critique please

bluesguy63

All,
Just recently started to try and sing. My goals are realistic...I just want to be able to sing and stay on key...be able to comfortably/confidently sing at a jam session or possibly an open mic someday and not suck. I don't want to make a fool out of myself. Honest ears are very much appreciated. Is this passable and how far can I go with what I'm doing? Thanks in advance.

https://soundcloud.com/bluesguy1963/lonesome-road-blues-folk-style

Your tone is good but you're wavering a lot on the notes. It sounds like you're struggling to sing low because you lack control of your pitch.
If I were you I'd try and sing this in your normal speaking range rather than try and sing like Waylon.
Also you need to practice the vocal part separately as it sounds like you're distracted trying to play the guitar at the same time.
If you insist on doing guitar and vocals together then focus on your voice and strum more simply in time with the song. Don't bother with the bass notes on the guitar until you have the singing down cold.
As far as a jam would go, you could pull it off now but nobody would be super impressed. You need to get to the point where people say "Holy **** that guy can sing just like Waylon". That's the goal of any singer in my opinion.

I appreciate comment. I was actually ( I thought) trying to do this in my speaking range....which some have said, one should never try. Trying to sound like Waylon never crossed my mind...just trying to be me. I will continue working...again, thank you.

No idea why anyone would say speaking voice range is bad. If you're in that range already then transpose up and try it a little higher.

Back