This isn't too bad is it?

Kerfoot32

https://soundcloud.com/kerfoot32/the-recycling

So I am a songwriter/producer. I'm not a singer. I don't claim to be, don't inspire to be. I just like writing and expressing myself. I am in a band with 2 very gifted singers. I'm the primary writer of our material, I don't sing very often. But this particular album we've been hard at work on has a concept. I play a small character and I felt it was necessary for me to sing one of the songs by myself. It's for flavor. Most of the songs are sung by a female with a beautiful, high/mid-range voice (usually drowned in delay). I do frequent backing vocals in a low distorted voice. The contrast is part of our experiment. I used to do a lot of vocals in a different band where i was the lead singer. It was amateur, I had no idea what I was doing and put zero thought into the way I breathed, opened my mouth and pronounced syllables. I mindlessly "sang" out of my range with no previous knowledge of being a vocalist. It was bad. The female singer in my band gives me a lot of crap about it. She's pretty critical, but I understand why. Singing is her gift and she is classically trained, even got a vocal scholarship. I'm very lucky to be working with her. But I still want to be able to have songs to myself if the album calls for it.

I don't think I'm terrible. I understand pitch and can carry a tune. I even landed the role of Sweeney Todd in my high school production. I've had several people tell me I'm a decent singer and that I have my own style that makes my music unique. There's emotion in my voice. But I still doubt myself from time to time, mostly because of her comments. This song I'm sharing with you guys has a special meaning to me and I'm not letting either of the other 2 singers in my band feature on it. I've been studying some of my old vocals in my old band to try to figure out how I can approach this song differently and not record something that makes me cringe. I've tried singing this song in several different ways until I found the way that I think fits my voice the most. I'm putting thought into the way I say certain phrases, but like I said I still don't have that much knowledge about singing and still doubt myself.

I think what I have now is pretty close to the best I'm gonna get right now on this song. There are still a few lines that are bugging me but I feel like I might never be happy just because it's my work and I'm just gonna make myself go crazy. So that's why I'm here. I want to see what the casual listener's first thoughts are about my singing and this song's performance/emotion. Am I being too hard on myself or am I really as bad as she tells me I am? Please tell me specifically which lines sound the worst/best and why. What notes make you cringe? What should I redo? How should I approach it? What am I doing right and what nuances sound cool? I want the good and the bad. I want to improve but I also want to know what I should continue to do? Is my voice unique? I'm open to anything. But I need honesty. This project is very important to me and I really want it to be the best it can be.

Sorry for the long post. I appreciate all the great feedback I get on this site!

You asked for honesty right? She's critical for good reason I'm afraid. Your pitch wanders a lot. The song itself is so monotone that.....to be honest.......if you had much range at all it wouldn't be very difficult to sing. Perhaps you were over thinking or were too tense or too worried or whatever......when you sang that. If you truly love the song and you feel that you can't do better with the vocal........then let someone else do it. Also........what the heck is that distortion all about? Sorry........but that's my take on it.

Is my voice unique?

No, not at all. It's a voice heard many, many times before.

Echoing Miskster above, your pitch does wander a lot over the course of the tune. There are a few places that I would call cringe worthy. Sorry.

As for the distortion, I didn't get it, coming in and out in waves for a couple of words. I wondered if the vocal might sound better with a lesser distortion effect like that over the whole vocal part.

As Mick said, if you really care that much, let someone else do the singing and stick to the writing. :thumbs up:

Alrighty I see what you guys are saying. For some reason I do this whining thing where I purposely drop the pitch of the note for effect. I did it all the time in Sweeney Todd and the vocal director always gave me shit for it. I guess I've convinced myself that it sounds cool. Obviously it doesnt lol. I'll do another take and hold all the notes straight and throw it up here later tonight :)

Thanks for being real and taking your time to listen. I'll get it right.

Also I mention why I use distortion in the op.

Back