i want to start recording metal vocal covers and have a question

KristaRae

I've never done a vocal cover before and want to buy some good equipment at some point,but I don't know anything about the things i'll need. I read that when doing harsh vocals a condenser mic works best and a preamp with high gain,how do I know if a mic and preamp will go well together? I don't know shit about frequencies and how all this stuff works together yet so i definitely need help,probably more than i'm asking for haha

I don't know where you heard that, condenser mics almost never need a high gain preamp. They also tend to be too detail oriented to sound good with harsh vocals. The two mics that keep coming up in those conversations are the Shure SM7b and thr EV RE-20. Both of those need a lot of gain.

Really, if you are just starting out, an SM58/57 will work fine. Since those are usefull in so many other applications, they are never a bad investment. ( especially if you buy used)

Do you hqve an interface with mic inputs? If you do, you probably don't need a separate preamp.

For the most part, any mic you can get your hands on will be fine. When people talk about "the perfect mic for metal vocals", they are talking about mics that are not that much better than anything else. There are also dozens of vocal styles that all fall under the "metal" heading, and that factors in as well.

If you already have a mic, just use that until you outgrow it.

Second the 57/58. You can usually get one for $100 new, and right now they're doing a $10 rebate. Pretty easy investment, and it will be a mike you'll never outgrow your need for.
Cheap interface (even an Alesis MultiMix 4 for $80) will get you started.
Download Reaper ($60 to register).
Total investment to see if you like the hobby, $230. I invested more than that into model rockets when I started...
Of course this assumes you have a computer with decent speakers.
Later you'll start accruing much more, but to see how you like it, this is a pretty inexpensive route.

Also, with a condenser mic you need to worry a it room acoustics and stuff. It picks a lot of background noise.

Dynamics mic are pretty good for home recordings, especially beginners.

Also, with a condenser mic you need to worry a it room acoustics and stuff. It picks a lot of background noise.

Dynamics mic are pretty good for home recordings, especially beginners.

Not strictly true but I second the dynamic suggestions.

Dave.

I will tell you from experience I use a Nuemann U87 Mic going into a Universal Audio 6176 (pre amp & compressor) and I capture amazing vocals.

I will tell you from experience I use a Nuemann U87 Mic going into a Universal Audio 6176 (pre amp & compressor) and I capture amazing vocals.

And how exactly did this little personal info help the OP with their question? Did you even read the other posts in this thread or did you just want to brag about your beats and share the link in your sig line again? Obviously the latter.

Sorry man, but I don't take kindly to members not actually contributing here. You can call me a dick if you like, but you did not give anything useful on this thread.

You have been warned...

Yeah, seriously, $6500 worth of mike and pre-amp is a GREAT suggestion for a newb...what high end Antelope, Lynx or Aurora interface do you recommend? Thanks Jimmy, this is not the kind of response this site needs, for whatever ulterior motive, it's just wrong.

The last thing I want to do is get into forum beef but correct me if I am wrong, he said "i want to buy some good equipment" not i want to buy some average or cheap equipment. What I told him is "good" equipment. Maybe he has saved up some dough or is just well off and can obtain these things. Sorry you guys mad that you can't.

No I wouldn't call you a dick sound more like a hater. Why would I brag about my hip hop beats to a dude who does metal? Warned? lol Joker!

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that by "good" he meant he didn't want to use a SingStar microphone running in Audacity.
You can get professional grade microphones (whatever the fuck that means) for 100$.

Sorry to come across badly, but I think (or thought) that you might have missed the I've never done this, have a lot of questions type statements in the original post. It's possible he is independently wealthy and can afford to hire Devin Townsend to produce his covers...doubtful since he was thanking us for $150-200 solutions.

Back