How important is the accent for english native speakers?

I would say, the accent is as much of the personality of the voice and the song. It can be good or bad, but I rarely focus on accent or not as it is an accent. It becomes a part of the music and it either works or it doesn't. English based songs really doesn't matter these days.

Deliver as one can and it becomes a personality of the song. Like Neil Young, he delivers in his own way. And there are a lot of people who love his voice. I know Greg really loves it.

So accent in and of itself really doesn't matter. It is the whole in context of the song that matters. Non-English speakers, I wouldn't worry about the accent expect on how it sounds to the song.

Anyway, there are Lousianne Cajun songs that I really like the sound of even if I can't understand half of what they say. I love the cajun bass snare SNARE snare beat for driving a tune...:)

how important is the accent for english native speakers when hearing a song?
It's not important though in some singers it's certainly more noticeable than in others. Sometimes it's quite funny, other times it can be a bit annoying. But I think that about some native English singers too !
Brasil being a continental (huge) country, we have different accents here.
One of my favourite albums is a 1976 effort by Milton Nascimento called "Milton." Some of it is sung in Portuguese and some in English. On the English sung ones like "Nothing will be as it was" and "Fairy tale friend" he definitely does have a pronounced accent and you can tell he's not an English native speaker but he sings so fluently that it really doesn't matter. He sings the Portuguese songs in the same way.
Flora Purim is similar on the first Return To Forever album {It's actually a Chick Corea album of the same name that he went on to use for the name of the band}. On "What game shall we play" and "Sometime ago" she sounds so un~English but after 30 years, I can't imagine those songs any other way or by so lovely a voice.
the voice is only one more instrument in the mix.
This is how I've long viewed the voice ~ it's an element in the mix. That's partly why I'm fussy about being in tune because if it's out of tune it upsets the harmonic balance of the whole.
For me the voice, it's tone, it's melodicness and it's mode of delivery are actually more important than the actual words being sung which is why, though I love lyrics and try sometimes to write well put together ones, I am sometimes not at all fussy if lyrically it's made up of bits that don't really connect. Yes, meaning can be important, but overall, it's the sound that matters, particularly considering most people on the planet won't understand the words !
voice is only one more instrument
listening to them again I can hear a slight twang, but to me, that's just another instrument.
I wouldn't tolerate out of tune guitars or keyboards so the voice has no chance of tolerance from me. I'm "flat~sharp intolerant" in any accent !

Accents tend to be less pronounced while singing
I don't know about that. The reality that so many singers sound totally different in their speaking accent to their singing one could just as easily suggest the opposite, that many singers have gone out of their way to utilize an accent. Bob Dylan went continents out of his way to affect a vocal accent that was as far away from his speaking one as it was possible to get.
And I laughed my rocks off when I heard Barry Gibb of the Bee Gees actually speak. He really popularized the falsetto in disco, complete with Americana affectations. But when he speaks he's got a deep voice and a very Mancunian {Manchester} accent !

Definitely NOT Brittish, the Scots and Irish can all do one for all I care
The Irish already did back in 1919 and the Scots may be following suit in around 10 days........

I wouldn't want to hear a song done in a Birmingham (England) accent, though.
On Black Sabbath's debut album, there are a number of points where Ozzy Osbourne moreorless sings in a Brummie accent. It really makes me laugh because on songs like "Sleeping Village", "Behind the wall of sleep" and "Warning" he sings just like he talks ! He sounds suicidally depressed. The Birmingham accent is the only one I know of where the speakers sound constantly on the point of wrist slashing despair, even when describing a new birth, their team winning a trophy, job promotion or a lottery win ! :D
I was born in Birmingham. I remember my Uncle used to call my older sister a "Brummie twit" {Imagine that in a Nigerian accent}. We didn't discover that it was an insult for a long time. I can do a Brummie accent but my Mum beat it out of us when we moved to London.

You've just reminded me of two Brummie-accented songs/singers that I DO actually like. As it happens, they're both comedy performers, so that says a lot about the risible-ness of that accent! Ever heard of John Otway? Or Jasper Carrott? :D
I didn't realize Otway was from Birmingham.
Carrott moreorless put the Brummie accent on the map {well, him and "Crossroads":facepalm:} and you know, all these years later, I still find him really funny. Neat guitar player too. I love his stupid song, "Funky moped." It's so ridiculous but it is funny and it's a song I love grooving to. I don't know if it was a parody or coincidence but it was in the charts right around the same time as a harder edged Chris Spedding song, "Motorbikin'." Love 'em both and played back to back, it's hard not to at least smile........

it bothers me to hear any language other than english.

2f3640a3393b93b2fb5049e133de5addf3bef697aa7e96e11d866c2399f0b0e8.jpg
lol!:laughings:I believe both the original and current singer from the band, Journey are both Portuguese. Isn't Portuguese what most Brazilians speak?

Last edited:
The reasons are definitely historical, I think. In the fifties and sixties the UK took all its musical cues from the American Blues, Rock 'n' Roll, Country and Soul groups, which we embraced wholeheartedly.
It was one of the great inferiority complexes of human history and it has a deep and convoluted history which is too long to go into in detail.
The USSR and the USA had both emerged as the 20th century's super powers while the previous world power that had smacked up half the world {America, Australia, India, china, much of Africa, lots of Europe......} for hundreds of years was on it's knees, food rationing it's post war ravaged population {it didn't end until 9 years after the war !}, losing it's empire and looking for the most part, decidedly second rate politically, socially, sportingly......and musically. American servicemen swept the English girls off their feet during the war and after, while so many of the blokes aspired to be like them. Americans were the epitome of "cool". I don't think smoking would have caught on the way it did had it not been for their glamorous association via movies, musicians and pictures.
I suppose to sing those songs in a British accent wouldn't have worked - the audiences wanted to hear the authentic American sound, the culture that we were in love with at the time.
That's true. It's interesting that among the younger UK set, those songs of the blues, rock'n'roll and country idiom really took hold. As they got more into writing their own songs, it just got daft singing about smokestack lightning, route 66, getting your mojo working and hoochie coochie men and bit by bit, more and more of the lives of the writers like Pete Townshend, John Lennon, Mick Jagger, George Harrison, Phil May, Paul McCartney, Keith Richards, Dick Taylor, John Entwistle, Graham Gouldman, Ray Davies and a bit later, guys like Syd Barrett, Pete Sinfield, Eddie Pumer, David Bowie, Ian McDonald, Pete Daltrey, Jim Cregan, Pete Brown, Brian Godding, Marc Bolan, Kevin Westlake and Robert Plant bled into the songs and this, after 1965 and Kinks songs like "A well respected man" was reflected in the way these songs were being sung. Suddenly in 1965/6, Ringo is sounding like a moany Scouser on "What goes on" and a cheery Scouse boozer on "Yellow Submarine", Mick Jagger sounds like a cockney pub shouter on "Mother's little helper" and the backing vocals of the Stones' "Dandelion" and "We love you", as well as the leads are English with a capital E...... By then of course, America had become enamoured of all things British and thus began the great to~ing and fro~ing that has been a feature of the music scene ever since ~ in fits and starts. British was now cool and for a long while, the inferiority complex was buried.
It took a concerted effort for British groups to step outside that
I think it was about growing confidence. Few of those Britrockers had been out of the country prior to 1964. And as Keith Richards put it, life in the 50s was in black and white but at some point in the mid 60s, it became technicolour. Singing their own songs about their own lives, their own pasts, their own feelings and their own places was inevitable as were the musical styles from their childhoods that they drew on to mix with the American stuff and create new sounds and directions that were uniquely British. And more and more, you'd get songs about Penny Lanes, Strawberry fields, "Only a Northern song", gnomes, scarecrows, sky children, English parks, Waterloo sunsets, the Isle of Wight, very English characters like Arnold Layne, SF Sorrow, Polythene Pam, Tommy, Uncle Ernie, Jenny Artichoke and Mrs Murphy's Budgerigar, English cries of "oi !" {Mother's little helper} and "Eh up !" {Bungalow Bill}, tales of fingering girls {Penny Lane}, masturbating {Pictures of Lily}, Posing {Dedicated follower of fashion}, bullying {Cousin Kevin}, sexual abuse of kids {Fiddle about} etc, all very English pastimes which were now being talked about and also appearing were orchestral instruments, orchestras and choirs, used in an ever so British way.
In the same way that the American songs handled by Brits would've sounded a bit, well, off, in English accents, more and more of the homespun songs by the Brit rockers would've sounded weird in anything other than a more British vocal sound.
By the time of punk, not being yourself just wasn't acceptable.

Abba - in their singing, they're English. Hear them speak and you know they come from Sveden.
Last week I did a lot of listening to Abba and there's a definite accent in the women's voices. You can hear it clearly in "Waterloo", "Nina pretty ballerina", "I do I do I do" and others but it comes across subtly in some of their big hits. But I only really just heard it last week and I've listened to them since 1974.
I think the way songs are mixed makes a difference too, to how clearly accents come over.
American and British accents when singing are very similar, unless they have a very strong accent that jumps out
Ever since I was a kid, I felt the opposite to that. My sisters and I used to take the piss out of the "yankified" way some British singers sang although I'm not sure why as we loved pop songs and never really thought much about the nationalities of the singers.
and the silly accent bands like The Wurzells have from the UK West country.
I really hated the Wurzels. But I've known a few people that talk just like them ! Oooh arr ooh arr ay !
Even the Irish accents vanish in some music - like U2, emerging just every now and then.
Phil Lynott often sounded Irish in Thin Lizzy as did Jim Lockhart and Barry Devlin in Horslips. A lot of Celtic folk musicians sang in their national accents, like the Battlefield band often sounded like roughneck shipyard Scots while Christy Moore and so many like him {interestingly, not his brother, Barry} sounded more Irish than if they spoke !

I dig the German version of 99 Luftballoons. Love the accent on the singer in German or in English.
Yeah, Nina's a good example of how the accent someone sings in can be almost a distraction from the song. That said, I like the song. The English one.
I have a couple of albums by German bands {Semaja and Maranatha} playing heavy to progressive and singing in German. The language is not the smoothest of them all, but it's often the accents that really stick out and make the language seem so rough.

But different tones fit different genres.
I think this is true. But I wonder if that happens naturally or if it has been conditioned into those that think this.

I didn't realize Otway was from Birmingham.

He's not, actually. :D He's from Buckinghamshire, but his voice definitely has that midlands twang, which he really accentuates on his records, presumably for comic effect.:D

Have you ever seen him perform? He's bloody MENTAL! :D

Back