Do you think I've got "it"? Wondering if I should pursue my passion for singing...

janelikestosing

Do you think I've got "it"? Wondering if I should pursue my passion for singing...

I posted on here a couple of years ago (I forgot my password!) and got a lot of wonderful advice from people who frequent this forum. After everyone's uplifting words, I started to explore my voice and finally allowed myself to "let go" and push my limits. It made a world of difference in my ability, and I thank the people on this forum for encouraging me to experiment with my sound. While I still have yet to get over my fear of performing, I have made some significant strides in sharing my recordings with my family and friends, and the feedback I've gotten has astounded me and been so supportive. However, I still am full of self doubt...I have this fear of really going for it, of auditioning, of performing, of really putting myself out there. So now I'm running back to you all here, still with my tail between my legs, but with a more refined skill, and I'm hoping to hear words of encouragement and, of course, constructive criticism. Thank you in advance for listening! I truly appreciate it.

Also, I just recently purchased a USB mic, but the first recording was done on my Macbook Pro, hence the poor sound quality:

Last edited:
Embed your Soundcloud audio clips into the thread.....their website isn't opening for me.

If you "Go Advanced"....the orange Soundcloud icon for embedding is there.

Sounds fine to me - no pitch issues or anything. You can sing in case you're not sure...lol... Maybe mix in the music next time so we can enjoy the music with the lovely vocals.

Well it's always comforting to my ego to hear that I can sing! Thanks for the positive feedback man. I suppose I could sing over karaoke tracks next time so I have something more substantial to share, but they usually sound terrible haha. Sometimes I feel like all I need is a buddy who can lay down a decent track and then let me lay down the vocals, but where oh where do I go to find somebody to collaborate with when I'm shy about singing in front of others? It's a dilemma! But again, thanks for the kind words. Any little bit of reassurance is truly a gift for me these days haha. I really appreciate it.

you can definetly sing. There are however some things you should work on. Don't take this the wrong way, i believe this kind of comments is what you are looking for. I can only review your first song, since the second appears not to be there.

As far as i can tell you have to work on the places when you raise your intensity. You have to be careful because at some point it becomes screaming. I see you do it a lot, I know it is not easy to control if you have a powerful voice. if you over do it (scream) it creates distress in the listener and it sounds uncomfortable.

The other thing i noticed is that you sound stressed. this reflects very much on your recording. If you loosen up a bit more it sounds more fluent and therefore easier to listen and more appealing.

Keep in mind that this is not all wrong, but just the two points i think you should work a bit more.

Having said that, i think you sing really good.

You have talent. The reality is so do a sea of others. I have no idea what you look like but the streets are paved with gorgeous, talented girls. If you're timid about singing in public there's a long line of those who aren't.

Sure, you should follow your passion but be aware that no matter how good you are the likelihood of getting famous like Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, Celine Dion famous is pretty close to -0- no matter how much "it" you have.

That isn't the only way for someone to make a buck in the music business. Learn as much as you can about the mechanics of music, get really good on an instrument or three. The more you can do the broader your opportunities. Sessions singers in a major market can make a good living. Can you sing in a variety of styles? Can you read music vocally? There are those who can.

Also, pursuing your passion doesn't necessarily mean making a living at it or even making money at it - I've heard karaoke singers who are superb who've never done a paying gig.

Back