Compensating for shit singing

JDOD

therecordingrebels.com
I'm sure that most people on here struggle with their singing - when I am writing songs, I generally might only have one or two lines in mind at most. Often none at all and it's all just music with the lyrics coming later.

So, compensating for my shit singing I do the following:

a) Double track everything
b) Let it sit just a little two low in the mix
c) Manually Auto-Tune it all, just up to the point where I sound like Cher, then take it back a fraction until the Cher effect become's almost unnoticable.

I still sound a bit more like Nick Cave than Eddie Vedder, but that's alright. If I can happily get myself to confidently sing with a similar quality to Joe Strummer I'll be happy.

Anyway, I've read a few things about singing to try and help and the thing that came across most was that concentrating on your breathing technique is just as important as anything else. This helped a lot! I make sure that I never a) run out of breath on mic, or b) take a breath on mic. Any other tips.

Any other tips.

As you noted, the various things you are doing are compensating for your shit singing.

While these fixes can get you out of a spot, it's unhealthy to depend on them.

I think you are doing the right thing by working on breathing techniques. You should pursue that path more vigorously; work on developing your vocals so that you can throw away the crutches.

See if you can find a vocal coach, or find something online.

Another thing you might try, write in a style that compliments your voice. You take various popular singers that are not great, Dylan, Young, Cohen, (those are the ones off the top of my head) and they are not great singers, but it doesn't matter as their styles and delivery work for them.

Work on various keys and style to see what will make the song. If you focus on your voice only, then you probably will fall short. Just experiment with your vocals and song technique to find a combination that works for you and the song. A good example, don't hold notes so long, quick timed delivery where actual singing is less important. Pitch is harder than many people think and the shorter the note, the less obvious there are pitch issues.

Just some thoughts.

I do tend to find singing a little easier if its my own stuff; I suppose you naturally come up with melodies that suit your voice.

We're talking about how much you can polish a turd here, mind. I'm never going to be Freddie Mercury.

haha, I just remembered there is a vid of me singing on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg2YAHdOZx0

Funny little tune. You might try lowering an octave, find a nice middle range. High notes are a bitch. I'm not expert, but a lot of us who listen to those high pitched singers tend to try and sing like that, since we all sang with those dudes, we just couldn't hear ourselves.

I personally would work on finding that range and key that is best suited for your voice (try a capo to change keys). Run your capo up the neck until you find something that works. Ever notice Paul Simon plays many of his songs with the Capo on the 4th fret? Just have to work on it and find the right balance.

I hadn't noticed that actually - I don't use a capo very often at all; I've never really seen the need and I just love the tone of an open bottom E. But then I haven't really been thinking about singing until quite recently. I suppose as I start to think about singing more I might start using my capo more.

At the moment I generally just use it for jangly accoustic stuff.

We're talking about how much you can polish a turd here, mind. I'm never going to be Freddie Mercury.

You don't need to be Freddie Mercury. And while I believe that turds most certainly can be polished by studio trickery, I think some folk get me wrong when I say that. A good performance poorly recorded can be salvaged. A lousy out of tune/out of time performance well recorded is really pushing it.
But listening to your YouTube video, all you really need is to work on your voice and keep practicing. Building up a voice is a bit like building up one's muscles ~ dreaming doesn't get you there. Working through the initial pain does.

I do tend to find singing a little easier if its my own stuff; I suppose you naturally come up with melodies that suit your voice.

On the video your voice sounds pretty reasonable. You did look a bit uncomfortable when it went higher. But your voice has character and was pretty much in tune.

Grimtraveller says it all here: "Building up a voice is a bit like building up one's muscles ~ dreaming doesn't get you there. Working through the initial pain does."

Ah, I was only cocking about when I did that. I just happened to think of it while I was in the office and it was the only recording of me I had access to at the time!

I hope you realised that I was only cocking about with that; it's not like I am a pioneer in the genre of breakfast themed swing-folk.

That's the kind of thing that sometimes appeals to my sense of humour. I like songs that are deep and meaningful. I like songs that have no seriousness whatsoever and I like frivolous songs like "The coffee jingle" that shine a window into the workings of everyday life. For me, songs on mundane subjects that are memorable and that I'll be singing till I die are actually really skilful even though the writer often doesn't see it that way.

So, compensating for my shit singing....

...Any other tips.

Sing more often, so that it becomes a regular thing and not so held back/conservative....and try different approaches (head/chest/gut)....IOW....find your range and your vocal comfort zone.

Comp as needed. :)

I'm never going to be Freddie Mercury.

Ah, I was only cocking about when I did that.

I hope you realised that I was only cocking about with that

You might be closer than you think! :)

(Sorry, man. I just couldn't pass that one up.)

I haven't played cover tunes for years. I no longer gig so I don't need to play them anymore.
I don't miss trying to sing tunes that are too high for me.

When I write I start with lyrics. Once they're done I create the vocal melody. In my range. I don't care what key it is. It just has to be comfortable to sing.

I pick up my guitar and find the chords that fit the melody - not the other way around which in my mind forces you to sing a certain key which may or may not be in your range.

I have a tempo based on the melody. I pick a 4/4 drum beat off my keyboard.

I play the complete song - drums/guitar/vocals until it all comes together and I can play it like I'm doing it live.

Then I record it as a scratch track just for reference. I record it on a tape recorder and it gets overwritten by the next song.

Then I multitrack.

Drums, Guitar, Vocals, Harmonies, Solo in that order.

Vocals are one take because a) I have memorized the tune and b) I'm not struggling to hit notes out of my range.

Breath control is key - you should be able to sing 2 or 3 lines without taking a breath. That strength gives you the ability to play around with phrases and lines and add color to the melody. Cardio and other exercise like swimming can get your breathing stronger. Being in your comfort range is key as well. The average person can increase their range a little bit over time but you're probably stuck with what god gave you.

Not everyone needs a coach. Just sing - it's not like climbing Mount Everest if you stay in your range.

And if you don't play live there's no harm in using Auto Tune. God you want to enjoy listening to your tunes not cringe.

That's the plan! That's why I want to learn to compensate for my shit singing, while the singing improves gradually.

Back