check it out? please? acapella manson

besthellbunny

Hello!

For some reason I still haven't given up at this singing/recording thing. Once in a blue moon I will post here for your critiques, and I think I am slowly making progress. One of my biggest critiques along the way has been to sing louder, and stop burying my voice in the mix (which I guess I do because I am nervous I don't sound good).

So, to combat my fear, here is an acapella of Marilyn Manson's "Minute of Decay".

In this take I am aware of a couple of flaws I want to work on in another take...in some areas I lack power where I feel like I should be screaming/yelling/belting but, I really just am not sure how to do that and not sound totally silly!?!

Without further adieu;

https://soundcloud.com/besthellbunny/minute-of-decay-acapella-first

Thanks for listening, and please tell me your thoughts!

hrmm something i didn't consider being a negative would be the reverb and mild distortion i used in here. i felt that it fit, and not necessarily trying to "hide" my voice behind it, but...is there too much reverb in this? i thought i had a tasteful in-between...

wow, that is a hard one for me. I didn't hear anything bad, but I can't say if it is good as I have a hard time without a reference (i.e. instruments). Based on this, you can sing, but I would like to hear it with a backing track, either piano, guitar, and then decide if you use reverb for effect or not.

You definitely have something, but I would need to hear against instruments.

Yeah, it's hard to give meaningful feedback on something like this. With the dual track and the FX, it's hard to gauge how good your delivery is; and without the rest of the mix, it's hard to gauge how well it will fit with the mix.

That being said, your two deliveries are pretty out of sync throughout. Not being familiar with the original song, I can't tell how much this is intentional. A lot of parts seem like they're supposed to be in sync though when the timing drifts...
Hold up... *listens to the original*

Yeah, the original had much tighter timing between the voices. That's probably something you'll want to shoot for.

Back