You're the first people to hear me sing.

NoOneSpecial

I've hidden my voice all my life because I have a hate-love relationship with it (which I imagine many people do), but now I have gathered courage and would like to "come out" (rather quietly still) and hear honest opinions.I think I know how to sing, but I dont know if my tone is pleasant or something that anyone would want to hear.

Heres a little snippet of what I recorded recently. Its a cover of a Sia song called "She Wolf".

https://soundcloud.com/secretpain/test/s-6UlVK

Last edited:
Hi,
Welcome to HR.
The tone of your voice is very pleasant, in my opinion.

Go forth and record stuff. :)

Thanks, Ive always wanted to but lack courage because I dont feel that my tone is traditionally masculine. Ive been trying to reduce any nasal tones. Do you happen to know of any good exercises for that?

There's nothing wrong with your voice, it has a pleasant tone. You could do lots with it - I don't know what the song is but it seems to encourage that overwrought style which, personally, I hate. "Secret Pain" - would be a big hit with the misunderstood tweens, probably. Worst song title ever in my opinion, which doesn't matter.

Sing. Don't sing. Your choice, but drop the "poor me" history lesson which you've included, is my advice. Sing because you want to sing and for no other reason. If you want a hug or a support group, go somewhere else... this is a recording forum.

Sing. Record. Learn. Adjust. Rinse. Repeat. That's how it works.

And, for fuck's sake, disappear, and come back with a user name with a bit more purpose.

Welcome. :thumbs up:

There's nothing wrong with your voice, it has a pleasant tone. You could do lots with it - I don't know what the song is but it seems to encourage that overwrought style which, personally, I hate. "Secret Pain" - would be a big hit with the misunderstood tweens, probably. Worst song title ever in my opinion, which doesn't matter.

Sing. Don't sing. Your choice, but drop the "poor me" history lesson which you've included, is my advice. Sing because you want to sing and for no other reason. If you want a hug or a support group, go somewhere else... this is a recording forum.

Sing. Record. Learn. Adjust. Rinse. Repeat. That's how it works.

And, for fuck's sake, disappear, and come back with a user name with a bit more purpose.

Welcome. :thumbs up:

Sorry if my OP made it seem like I was looking for a hugbox. Let me assure you Im not. I simply stated what I stated because its the truth. It doesnt add anything to the OP so maybe I should edit it out.

The song is "Sia - She Wolf" and its originally a quite horrible dancey (imo) david guetta song. I just liked it as a concept for an acoustic song.

"SecretPain" is just a soundcloud username I came up with. I thought it nicely reflected my thoughts on music and singing. To me singing has always been transformative and healing for pain and because Ive never done it publically... I think you get the picture. It wasnt meant to be an emo name.

As for my forum username. Ive used this nickname forever and its not meant as self-deprecation either. :)

Thanks for your feedback.

Your voice is fine and will work in a number of song types. The one thing that stood out for me that you could work on is your timing. You start and end vocal lines and words just a fraction of a beat off many times. Too soon...too late.......etc. I assume that wasn't your intention and if it was it became ever so slightly annoying as I listened through. You need to be sure you're hearing the track very clearly as you record your vocal. It seems like you either can't hear the music as well as you should or you get somewhat "lost" in your vocal and lose your place. Again...ever so slightly.............but it's there and apparent. Otherwise.......you have nothing to worry about. Keep at it. Just my two cents.

Most of us here have doubts about our voices. But ya know, you have to throw it out there. Nothing worse than failing by never trying. Not a hug, just a fact.

There's an Auld Saying over here..."Some people are born couple of whiskies short"

But then you will probably end up like me, seventy, deaf, nearly blind in one eye but no longer give a shit!

GO FOR IT!

Dave.

Hi! Not my kind of song =p, but your singing is not as bad as I expected from your intro! Actually, it's quite good. I would love to hear some higher notes from you.

Back