Your lyric writing proooceeess

HyperAXISZ2

Hey all,
How do you guys approach writing lyrics? I usually just pick a topic, try to extract all emotions from it, write down some words and lines that pop into my mind, and then tween everything together. Works quite well.

Then others just write down sporadic, random verses that make no sense, but sound awesome when put against a beat. :D

So what about everyone else?

HyperAXISZ2 said:
Then others just write down sporadic, random verses that make no sense, but sound awesome when put against a beat. :D
This is how I start, and sometimes finish, myself. I just try and make sure someone listening might extract something from the words, but not strictly what I had in mind. I might have something that pops up that is catchy for a particular portion of a song, and just try and expand on that.

as long as it's not cliche and it sounds like you put some effort in to it, it doesn't have to be god damn shakespeare. sometimes I have no idea what the lyrics are until I've written the song and I go back and read it later. other times I'll conciously have an idea in my head and write to that, but for music today, lyrics are just as important as the music, so don't write a great song with crap lyrics. don't be afraid to experiment either or break 'the rules'.

one of my most successful songs (with radio and girls anyway) I used the word 'pulchritudinous'. it was mostly tongue in cheek, did it for a laugh, but it worked.

gwynneth pulchritudinous
our connection ageless
like amaranthine
our love won't languish
oh gwynneth, don't leave me now

I like to just sing the melody and see what comes out. It can be a bit jumbled at times, but a couple of lines will eventually stick and stick so well that you cant change them becuase when you try to, everything else just seems inferior. I then use these good lines as my starting point and build a story from there. The important part is to know (or feel) how to let it evolve, sometimes you cant find the correct words, so dont push it. They will come when the time is right.

I guess there is no right or wrong way to write lyrics, it just depends on who you are, and where you're coming from. My advice is do what feels right for you.

usually i have a musical form in mind before i start, then i try to come up with a melodic, lyric hook. whatever those words happen to be sort of thematically defines the song, so then i know what i'm writing about...
finding the hook is sometimes hard, sometimes spontaneously easy. once i have it though, at least i know where i'm going.

I usually have an idea for the track i want to write.
I try to stick to it, but a lot of the times it will trail off, or by the end of the firt verse i will have said basically everything i wanted to say.
(keep in mind, im an emcee/rapper so one verse is like 2 pages of lyrics).

Or, i'll have a line that i think is cool, and the whole track will grow from that one line.
It'll decide the topic, mood etc...

I think of things is the shower and then forget them when im done. Once in a while i remember some good ones. I struggle with lyrics though. :confused:

I like to express my feelings in lyrics through lots of metaphors. I also like to use sarcasm alot if it's an angry song.

My lyric writing starts after i write a song on guitar. I never write lyrics and put guitar to the lyrics. Usually I take the chorus of the guitar part and think of something that fits well in there. Thats my starting point , by the time I find something i like for the chorus I will expand from that idea to the rest of the song. Regardless , Im still really new to writing lyrics , I havent been doing it long.

Ive written a few raps in school just on paper without any music in my head so more like a poem but like with a rap style to it. i just find it fun and like an exercise for my mind. i guess it helps me become more clever and articulate a little better. or maybe its just an illusion and i dotn benefit from it at all. i think a good tip is just to not stop writing because its something that you can only improve on.

I usually get out a guitar chord book and start fooling around with chord progressions or just get a song idea in my head and then the words/music just pop out of the air! I am amazed when it happens like that, which is seems to have since day 1. Check out my latest track Omega Man. I was just fiddling around with some sounds on my Korg Triton LE and came up with this eerie background sound, added some Phil Collins style tom fills for the chorus, some keyboard bass and the melody jumped right into my head. Hope you like it!

http://www.freis.us/music-18.html

I have words/lyrics in my head I have to write them down and carry on with them.im a rookie needing people to view them if any 1 interested in looking

Back