a very helpful vocal melody tool

WEBCYAN

Vocal melodies are tough. You can take the same 3 chord overused structure and by applying the right vocal melody make it your own.

Heres how I do it.

I first write and track all the music first.

then I do scratch vocals by recording myself humming over the music. I just improvise and do what sounds good.
I do this about 20 times for each song. Then I listen to each vocal hum track along side the music track one at a time. I make notes of which parts of which tracks sound the best. I then take those bits and peices and combine them into 1 vocal track hum. I then use that as a base for recording one full vocal hum track like that.
That REALLY halps for getting creative melodies.

You cant always write a great vocal melody in one pass. So do 20 and take the best of each. :)

Good tip, Web.

That's basiclly what I do.
I record everything I practice on cassette, then wait a few days and listen the tape. From that point I rearrange my melody and the structure of the chords, if needed.
Also, knowing your scales and modes can be a very benifical part of creating a melody.

i like to toke a couple beeners, drink some cheap red wine and wail a thousand different (well maybe a hundred) ...((actually about 20, if i hadn't passed out)) takes of vocal ideas, the next day i wake up and realize i left the tape rolling...sweeeett...i ripped one around 2 am... i go back and listen to them and either laugh my ass off, fall back to sleep, or strike a jewel.... one thing i am constantly running into is sibilance...i de-ess it but i'm left with a dull sounding track...i need to do two, probably more, things.

1. work and work on pronunciation.

2. learn and use equalization... oh my lord. that didn't rhyme i hope.

That's cool, Whyte.
I dream music also, only I can never remember the melody or anything. I've tried the note pad beside my bunk, a tape recorder, etc. I envy you.

Tools git player says that he has "auditory hallucinations" and he can hear new melodies form in his head... wish i had that...

Sometimes I hear voices, does that count?

Actually, I keep a micro cassette recorder lying around in my car. I often come up with catchy melodies and bark them into the recorder before I forget them. I have come up with a couple of good parst this way.

Fangar

Back