Tips on finding your singing voice?

hessodreamy

I've been playing guitar a long time but recently started singing lessons to improve on the caterwauling I normally do. In terms of pitch and technique, I'm improving, but I just can't figure out what kind of character I want my voice to have.

My natural singing voice sounds pretty flat and inexpressive, but on the other hand I'm wary of sounding affected and contrived. In a lesson I did a Damien Rice tune and, in trying to imitate him, ended up with a John Lennon/Jim Morrison/Kurt Cobain mashup which sounds decent enough, but doesn't really feel like me.

I'm mostly into alternative and indie music, and my bandmates would, I'm sure, crucify me if I turned up with some gravelly growl that is so unlike my speaking voice.

Any suggestions as to finding a voice that is yours, when you don't like your natural voice?

I think this is probably the best question I've seen on this thread. Since each voice is unique and can imitated but not duplicated is what makes vocals special.

Experiment with different styles and keys, digital storage is cheap, don't be afraid to try different approaches. You could try various covers, self penned tunes, but you have to try and find your groove and the only way to do that is by doing.

I think it is very important to find your voice. To me that was the whole reason to start recording. Find my voice, find my song, find my groove. I am all over the place these days, I try not to get boxed into a corner. That is the beauty of the journey. Very few people find their voice in life.

For me it was writing my own stuff. When the song is yours you gravitate naturally I think toward what sounds best for you. You could probably do it with other people's material but I always ended up trying to sound like other people when I did that.

I think this is probably the best question I've seen on this thread. Since each voice is unique and can imitated but not duplicated is what makes vocals special.

Experiment with different styles and keys, digital storage is cheap, don't be afraid to try different approaches. You could try various covers, self penned tunes, but you have to try and find your groove and the only way to do that is by doing.

I think it is very important to find your voice. To me that was the whole reason to start recording. Find my voice, find my song, find my groove. I am all over the place these days, I try not to get boxed into a corner. That is the beauty of the journey. Very few people find their voice in life.

Very, very good advice...with the below caveat. Assuming you are young. You have many years of singing ahead of you. Just make sure your throat and face muscles are doing what comes natural...i.e. don't tighten up around your larynx, and don't stifle your sinuses.

For me it was writing my own stuff. When the song is yours you gravitate naturally I think toward what sounds best for you. You could probably do it with other people's material but I always ended up trying to sound like other people when I did that.

One of the biggest challenges when learning is NOT aping. When you try to sound like someone else, you run the risk of all sorts of problems. Especially if you are adding rasp and gravel to your throat...ever hear of polyps? Not everyone is John Cooper. Not everyone is Justin Hawkins. Sing where you're comfortable (range). Sing HOW you're comfortable (timbre). Your voice will come through in the end. Also...trust your instructor. They don't often tell you things that will tear up your throat and put them out of a client... :)

Back