Time is Money....Play the odds!

Dom Franco

A few years ago I was writing a lot of good songs, even had some financial success with a few. Then I started buying better equipment, and building a studio; all because I wanted to write more, and better songs?

Don't get me wrong, I love home recording, but for me it took up all my time to build walls and experiment with all the new stuff and left me with very little time or energy to create.

There is only one way to write songs.... you have to take the time to write them. This sound's redundant and simplistic, but sometimes the obvious truth is missed.

If you take a few minutes each day to sit at your instrument or desk... whatever; and try to write a song, the odds are that you will come up with something. The more time you spend at it, the more you will create.

It has been my observation, that out of ten songs that I write, only one or two will stand the test of time. I play them for my musician friends, and perform them in public or record them and listen to their reactions.

The more songs I write, the better my odds are of creating a good one. So this takes Time and Time = More songs and More songs = One or two good ones and One or Two good ones = ASCAP Royalties.... = $
So I can buy more equipment?

Even If you are not in it for the money.... Seriously, It takes time....

Dom Franco

We're only in it for the money... Ofcourse... :cool:

For now I'm in it to get some of the money out again. And it goes back in anyway. What's the use... But I'm getting more and more out. VERY slowly. Someday I'll be able to by dinner EVERY DAY!!! :D

At least I have my day time job to give me the stress and frustration needed for songwritting. And providing enough money for equipement and food. If I get a raise again I might even be able to afford some girl too.

Franco: Nice thread

A few years ago, I was writing average songs and making no money. I am still trying to get it right. Maybe I never will but the point is to keep trying. It is a challenge to find the time to set up a studio.

It would be nice to make money out of your recordings/songwriting skills but that was never the reason that I got into writting and playing. It's not why I sat on the end of my bed for two years learning basic chords in my spare time; I loved music, simple as that. I think if you think like that; expecting a higher return than your investment then your music will suffer.

As for the point of sitting down and intending to write, forget about it. I write when my mind wants me to write, when I feel inspired. (usually two o'clock in the morning). I guess your more disciplined than I am.

The biggest problem songwriters face is being consistent. Once you make it, it's hard to write about the shit world you live in when your also thinking about which car to drive today. So, do it for the music and not the money (as long as you can get by) and that way you can remain a true songwriter. Believe it or not, there are many songwriter's who do this and have this mentality.

Money's not everything....

For the record; money should never be the only reason for songwriting*, but I am sure that all of us want to be heard! What good is an honest, inspired song that no one else ever hears?

It just usually follows that a successful song, sells a lot of records (CD's)

I guess I would still be pretty happy If one of my songs became popular, and I didn't receive any profit.

Most of the songs I write are *Christian songs. I write about my life experience and my faith in God. I don't write these songs expecting to make money from them, but I want others to hear the words I write.

Most songwriters feel that they have something important to say, and they want to share it with others. That is why we write and record songs, but it is very cool to hear yourself on the radio, and even cooler to receive an extra few bucks in the mail for the song you believe in!

Sincerely;

Dom Franco

Very good point Dom. I've been spending all this time at my computer remixing the stuff I've recorded when I could be noodling on the guitar, listening to music, reading stuff that inspires me -- all the stuff that puts me in a frame of mind to write songs. Homerec, if not properly used, can become an addiction!

That's one of the funniest things. One day your playing the guitar and enjoying yourself, the next you've got thousands of pounds ($) of equipment and then the problems start. You don't play much guitar anymore because you become so absorbed in finding out about microphones/placement, recording/eq/mixing/mastering and all the rest.

What happened to the days when I picked the guitar up and played for hours at a time. I seem to spend days on refining sounds I have already recorded (as well as recording other instruments such as bass, keys and drums). The time could be much better spent.

I must agree.

This is one of my biggest frustrations.
I get up one hour early everyday to write. Have you ever tried to write a record a song in one hour increments!?
You can get 10 times as much done in 3 hours straight as you can in 3 seperate hours. And it always seems that just as I am getting into the "zone", it's time to get ready for work.
However, my schedule permits me no other options, so I keep moving forward and inch at a time.
And now I spend so much time just tweaking EQ's and compressors, or trying to find just the right snare sound, that any real practicing or "noodling" time is gone.
It's very, very tough, and sometimes I wonder if it's even worth it.
But here is my main point: Used to be we specialized. Nowadays w/ computers and such, we are all trying to be everything, i.e. guitarist, singer, bassist, engineer, producer, songwriter, etc.
I wonder if sometimes we would be better off interacting w/ other musicians, and not staring at Cakewalk so much.
Just a thought.
Aaron
http://www.aaroncheney.com

Doing it yourself

Aaron,

I would keep it up if I were you. I enjoyed some of your MP3's. You have inspired me with your suggestions in computer equipment and songwriting.

To me, I enjoy doing all the instruments myself because it would take a lot of time to have someone come in and lay down a track for me. Like you said, the mixing and equipment part of it takes the huge chunk.

For lyrics, I have abandoned the method designating large amounts of time. I have trained myself to be a lyric junkie, trying to sneak in lyrics on a pad whenever I can. I like coming back to the lyrics off and on for a period of time.

An intersesting thought. How many people on this bbs are solo artists (so to speek)? Just think of the bands your could put together. I mean most bands consist of memebers that can barely play one instrument. We can all play, record, mix, master everything to a certain degree.

On second thoughts, that would mean human contact and maybe even leavin' the house. LOL.

I work with a guy who 'plays' in a band - except, he doesn't - lemme explain. This guy spends a lot of time on the phone trying to get the bass player to come to rehearsals, which the bass player is reluctant to do because many times these rehearsals are cancelled at the last minute, and they never rehearse any new material anyway, so whats the point?

He also tries real hard to organise gigs, but due to the lack of suitable local venues, plus other band members family commitments, they average maybe one gig every two months.

This guy is the singer and only songwriter in the band, and he is into Foo Fighters,stereophonics,Cast,Moby,red hot chillis etc, The other guitar player is a shred merchant, who apparently used to be able to play all of Malmsteen's stuff note for note, but due to lack of practice (rehearsals?) can't get it done anymore.

There is a LOT of friction in this band,which unfortunately doesn't lead to the kind of creativity which has inspired other less than happy ensembles.

When I tell him he would be better off ditching the other guys and just doing it all himself, he says 'hey we're a BAND, when you're in a BAND, you play with other musicians' except - he doesn't.

Which is why, unless you are exceptionally lucky to find the right people, it's a lot easier to do it yourself.

Songwriting

Fellow homerecordists,
I too have gotten bogged down in the technical aspects of recording at the expense of my writing, and I'm just making song demos, nothing for public release. I would spend hours on drum/guitar/bass tracks just to end up with backing tracks that were sub-standard. Something I found has changed everything - it's called Jammer Pro from a company called Soundtrek (approx $100/US). With Jammer, I can do a comletely orchestrated backing track in an hour!
This isn't your father's MIDI!
Ever since I began using this program, I started writing more, because I don't have to worry about bass lines, drum transitions, etc. I've gotten back to being a songwriter instead of a rank amateur producer!
Hope this helps.

I try to approach songwriting and recording seperatly. I have a recording setup based around a Tascam TSR-8, but also keep my Tascam 414 around. When I write something (usually on acoustic first) that I think may have some value (to me anyway), I do a very basic workup on the 414. With little to no thought about recording quality. One overhead mic for the drums. With the furnace going in the backgroud. Bass, Guitar and Vocals all straight in, no effects. I can usually do all that in less then one hour. If the playing a little off, so what. A quick mixdown on headphones onto a tape to listen to in the car. (All this in an hour or less). If I decide I like the song enough to record it, I then take the time do it up right on the TSR-8, spending mungo time on setup and getting just the right sound. In this way, I have a clear distinction between writing and recording. As a songwriter, I have a basic 4 track. As a home recorder, I have a more elaborate setup.

This way is also much cheaper in the analog world, because that 1/2" tape is way more expensive then cassette. And many songs never make it to the TSR-8. It filters a lot of the crap out, so when I spend lots of time recording, it's only for the songs I really like.

For me, though, getting some decent equipment has helped encourage me to write better songs and cerainly makes me want to play better. It did, however, persuade me to quit the band I was in, because I didn't have time to do both. It was only a cover band though, so no big deal.

Ziller

for the last two years i have worked ten hours a day seven days a week.time off only when a piece of equiptment broke down.my music suffered.i took a job in seattle,wa.last week.five day work weeks,holidays,vacations.i hope i can get back to where i was two years ago.never again,i'll go hungry and cold first.

Vease, i was like your colleague, i used to "play" in a band.

Very occasionally when I could get everyone together. And then keep them focused enough to practice for more than an hour. The problem is banding together with people who arent into it in quite the same way. Sure they all liked music but didnt seem as bothered at developing that into complete songs.

Anyway thats when i bought a guitar (im a bassist) and decided to DIY the whole goddamn thing. Drum machine is next on the list.
and some spare time

Hey, hixmix... That's why I'm in it too! But it doesn't really work all that well, does it? I really expected a little more. Must be doing something wrong... :D

Yeah, it always seems like the other guy is getting more easy women and cheaper highs.

"Bands" and Bands.

Vease! I know exactly what kind of 'band' you're talking about! I got so sick of running after people to get together for a quick jam that I eventually gave up...

Now however, I am playing in a band that all the members want to be in, and it is a completely story! Ont of the things I realised you can't play with anyone. To be in a band that works, the band needs to be made up of more than bassists and drummers and guitarists. Rather, you need a group of people who share your ideas about music and have the energy to bring new stuff to you. They also have to be REALLY good at what they claim to be able to play! As obvious as this may seem, South Africa seems to be plagued by these half-assed groups that consist of mediocre musicians who try to sound like other groups. It is extremely frustrating! And it is this notion of making money that is the root of the problem.

People in bands like that have little interest in having effect in the industry, or REALLY communicating with people through sound, but more the lust for money and fame... which are all rather negligible if you are identified as a washed out imitator, no? If I was to make cash, I would spend it on some decent equipment, get new shocks for my car and I would be SO happy!

I use Cakewalk a lot nowadays, but nothing beats the pure joy of playing with REAL musicians who besided being good, are your best friends, and genuinely want to be there. I find that the best songs we write are the ones we do together, spontaneously, without tweaking the sounds and moving things around on a PC.

There must be a damned good reason that my fingers are almost bleeding today from playing so much, and that my throat feels raw from singing 6 hours straight. And I promise you... it's NOT money! No one seems interested in coming to SA to listen to anything, never mind give some of us cash to feed ourselves :) There appears to be little chance of me making a huge success of myself here... but I still do it.

Cheers
NS

Back