Thanks for the last feedback! Hope I've improved :,D

littlebluebird

I’ve been singing for a few years while playing the guitar just for fun. Since I got such awesome and helpful critique the last time I posted here I've taken the advice to heart and tried to improve :) I'm just looking for any thoughts or comments really :D Don't be afraid to be mean, I have thick skin and can take it if it means I can improve!

Any feedback is appreciated!

https://soundcloud.com/tiinamaria

I think you've done a pretty good job. Your timing is very good and your phrasing is as well. You do have a slight pitch issue here and there but practice will likely solve that. The way you recorded your voice, however, didn't do you any favors if you ask my opinion. Sounds like you have too much compression......maybe missing a pop screen........proximity......and better EQ would do wonders. Your voice has a quality to it that's very unique............along with the a light accent...........I think it's cool and has some excellent potential. Just my 2 cents. Keep up the good work.

I think you've done a pretty good job. Your timing is very good and your phrasing is as well. You do have a slight pitch issue here and there but practice will likely solve that. The way you recorded your voice, however, didn't do you any favors if you ask my opinion. Sounds like you have too much compression......maybe missing a pop screen........proximity......and better EQ would do wonders. Your voice has a quality to it that's very unique............along with the a light accent...........I think it's cool and has some excellent potential. Just my 2 cents. Keep up the good work.

Thanks so much for taking the time to listen! :-) I agree with your points, I do have a tendency to go off pitch sometimes and I really need to work on that and get better technique. Also the recording quality is probably not optimal since it's just done with my iphone and headphones (I have a better mic but have yet to learn how to use it and my music program propperly) so I hope I'll get that worked out soon and maybe be able to make a studio version of a song and not just these one take unedited ones :p

Hey Tiina :P,

It's nice to hear you again :). I've listened to you before on soundcloud (don't remember how I got there). I really do believe there's some wonderful nuances in your voice. The only area that I hear which could use improvement is the pitch; however I think it's a little simpler than that. I notice that your voice might waver slightly out of pitch, I believe this to be caused from not practising vocal onsets. I reccomend you to just look up some onsets on youtube. Onset's allow one to ascend the range of their voice without losing support. Basicaly it's about how to properly start a note and how to sustain vowels. I think when you go slightly out of tune it's because you're shaping your vowels a little differently (which is common). If you try my advice please be careful because I'm not a vocal expert. BTW, it would be awesome to collaborate with you sometime.

Hi...not sure what your goals are, but, I think you can absolutely sing. You have a powerful voice. I did hear the pitch issue a couple fo times...but you are pretty dang good.

Yeah youre good.
I hear a spot here and there where the pitch isnt perfect...
I also wonder, are you capable of singing up an octave too? Just would be a +1 to listener enjoyment :)

You sound like someone whos sold a lot of records... like sara bareilles or...maybe not her...someone i just cant think of her atm... maybe will repost if i fig out who it is.

Youre good tho :) sing a happy song about love, thats my recommendation :)

thank you! :) I agree with you that I have pitch issues, I'm not professionally trained or anything so my technique has problems :D but I'm trying to work on it!

Thank you, I appreciate you taking the time to listen :)! Do you mean layering voices so I would have the normal one and one that is an octave higher? I could give it a try, I need to work on my falsetto anyway :,D
I love Sarah Bareillies and Winter Song by her and Ingrid Michaelson is one of my favorite songs :)

Haha I should try out happy songs too but somehow I'm always more pulled towards the sadder ones :p

A lot of what I am hearing is you breathing in. I think this should be quieter and more controlled, even when it is done for effect. Just my opinion.

Stylistically, I am also not a fan of vocal fry (or deliberately cracking the voice for effect).

Lots of good things about your timbre. A touch more "body" would work, imo, to counterbalance the amount of stylistic airiness in the sound. Your voice sounds as if it can carry "authority", if you can find the right balance.

Back