So........

seancfc

Alright guys, so.. I have been wanting to be famous all my life, haha. Working isn't for me. I have never ever liked any working trade. I always wanted to be a singer or actor or football (soccer) player.

I can't sing YET. I have been thinking about it and.. I have been wondering "how long is it gonna take until I can get my name out there" or "how long will it be until I can go on competitions. Like.. X Factor , American Idol , Britains Got Talent , etc..

I know that I can learn and I know that it will happen some day.

So.. what I wanted to ask is, Is any of you guys want to be a more than a "Weekend entertainer" ? Like.. is there any "goals" you are aiming for in 5 years time? ..

I really am a dreamer. But.. My whole family know I don't like working in a "trade" , Because.. I have never stuck with any job I have had. All I do is , get up in the morning, go to the gym, take my dog a walk then come home and try and train my voice. And.. listen to music. I never think about work. I have my eyes set on being a singer. I know every teenager goes through these "little stages" in life. But I'm serious about mine. And everyone that doubts me and says "get in the real world. Your not gonna be a singer. You can't sing" I wanna prove them wrong. They make me more "determined" to work on training my voice.

I just want to ask, is there anyone else here that wants to be a "professional singer" anyone who wants to make singing there "everyday thing" ? Wanting to hear your music on the radio everyday? or is this just me?

I'm fed up of my family telling me that "It's just a dream" or "your being unrealistic"

Sorry if this isn't the right place to discuss this.

As I see it right now, your difficulty is that your primary goal is that you want to be famous.
I have never ever liked any working trade. I always wanted to be a singer or actor or football (soccer) player.
Nothing wrong in wanting to be a singer or actor or footballer. Nothing wrong in not liking any working trade. But your view of the three things you want[ed ] to be are out of alignment with reality. Do you think actors, footballers and singers don't work hard ? You speak as though all you see is the glamour side of those professions. Well, let me enlighten you ; footballers have to go through humdrum training every day and they may only get on the bench for the game. Or get 15 minutes in these days of squad rotation. Fabrice Muamba is a household name right now not because of his footballing prowess, but because he had a cardiac arrest in the middle of a game.
Being a singer is hard work. There are zillions of singers out there now. And especially given that shitty singing is no longer frowned upon, your competition is always going to be at your heels. So you need to continually up your game. That means alot of humdrum, routine stuff couched in hard work.
Actors don't simply sit there and improvise. It's hard work. You not only have to go through humdrum routine, learning and maintaining your craft, you have to constantly be convincing. Even if you end up like Phil from Eastenders in a soap for 27 years, it's still hard work. It's not all galas, TV times and 'celebrity'. And bear in mind, entertainers get bored of their passion too. They get burned out too. It becomes just a job to many of them too. That's essentially why the Beatles broke up ! That's why so many footballers go off the rails.
I really am a dreamer
I'm fed up of my family telling me that "It's just a dream"
Well, you don't seem to disagree with the very thing you say you're fed up of your family telling you.
Perhaps some of them are telling you what they do because they're aware of the reality of how not working when you are young and getting into that pattern isn't something you just switch on and off. Perhaps they're worried you'll never work or get to do what you want to do and end up sponging forever and a day. It's a point to consider. It creeps up on you.

I won't tell you that you won't be a singer. You may well be. I hope you do. But I worry for kids like yourself who seem to put the desire for celebrity first because there are lots of jaded sharks that can see you coming.....and are licking their lips.
If nothing else, working in the real world gives you real world experience. You learn to suss people out a bit.
Perhaps the biggest ballsup in some of your outlook is the idea that striving to fulfill your dreams and going for it somehow means that you don't go out and work for a living. That's not true at all. Even if you only have work as a fallback position, work, man ! If you're smart, you can work and strive to fulfill your dreams. And possibly fulfil them.
And keep working on that voice. I don't think it's bad but it does need work.

As I see it right now, your difficulty is that your primary goal is that you want to be famous. Nothing wrong in wanting to be a singer or actor or footballer. Nothing wrong in not liking any working trade. But your view of the three things you want[ed ] to be are out of alignment with reality. Do you think actors, footballers and singers don't work hard ? You speak as though all you see is the glamour side of those professions. Well, let me enlighten you ; footballers have to go through humdrum training every day and they may only get on the bench for the game. Or get 15 minutes in these days of squad rotation. Fabrice Muamba is a household name right now not because of his footballing prowess, but because he had a cardiac arrest in the middle of a game.
Being a singer is hard work. There are zillions of singers out there now. And especially given that shitty singing is no longer frowned upon, your competition is always going to be at your heels. So you need to continually up your game. That means alot of humdrum, routine stuff couched in hard work.
Actors don't simply sit there and improvise. It's hard work. You not only have to go through humdrum routine, learning and maintaining your craft, you have to constantly be convincing. Even if you end up like Phil from Eastenders in a soap for 27 years, it's still hard work. It's not all galas, TV times and 'celebrity'. And bear in mind, entertainers get bored of their passion too. They get burned out too. It becomes just a job to many of them too. That's essentially why the Beatles broke up ! That's why so many footballers go off the rails.
Well, you don't seem to disagree with the very thing you say you're fed up of your family telling you.
Perhaps some of them are telling you what they do because they're aware of the reality of how not working when you are young and getting into that pattern isn't something you just switch on and off. Perhaps they're worried you'll never work or get to do what you want to do and end up sponging forever and a day. It's a point to consider. It creeps up on you.

I won't tell you that you won't be a singer. You may well be. I hope you do. But I worry for kids like yourself who seem to put the desire for celebrity first because there are lots of jaded sharks that can see you coming.....and are licking their lips.
If nothing else, working in the real world gives you real world experience. You learn to suss people out a bit.
Perhaps the biggest ballsup in some of your outlook is the idea that striving to fulfill your dreams and going for it somehow means that you don't go out and work for a living. That's not true at all. Even if you only have work as a fallback position, work, man ! If you're smart, you can work and strive to fulfill your dreams. And possibly fulfil them.
And keep working on that voice. I don't think it's bad but it does need work.

Thanks man! I appreciate it.

keep working on that voice. I don't think it's bad but it does need work.

I take it you listened to my track on my other thread? Could you be able to tell me, what I need to work on?

And again.. thanks for your reply.

I wanna prove them wrong. They make me more "determined" to work on training my voice.
[/B]

This kinda makes the whole thread pointless IMO.
I knew a guy like this. He'd ask for your opinion and say he REALLY want's criticism so he can improve.

You'd give him proper factual constructive criticism and before you've even finished he's all "F**k you, I'll prove you wrong"
That's not necessarily the 'wrong' way to be; It just means your gonna do what you want regardless of what anyone else says.

I notice you said "I can't sing yet".
There's much debate over this but I whole-heartedly believe that you can train an existing talent, but you can't nurture something that's not there.

I'm not saying you have no talent at all, but you're 17, and in my opinion, if you were going to be world class it'd be apparent by now.
I'm certain that plenty of people will disagree with me on that, but take it or leave it. It's my honest opinion.

I've listened to your tracks and I think with coaching, practice and advice you will improve and maybe cut some decent tracks,
but I don't think you'll ever compete in the charts.

Sorry if that's harsh. Just being honest with you.

This kinda makes the whole thread pointless IMO.
I knew a guy like this. He'd ask for your opinion and say he REALLY want's criticism so he can improve.

You'd give him proper factual constructive criticism and before you've even finished he's all "F**k you, I'll prove you wrong"
That's not necessarily the 'wrong' way to be; It just means your gonna do what you want regardless of what anyone else says.

I notice you said "I can't sing yet".
There's much debate over this but I whole-heartedly believe that you can train an existing talent, but you can't nurture something that's not there.

I'm not saying you have no talent at all, but you're 17, and in my opinion, if you were going to be world class it'd be apparent by now.
I'm certain that plenty of people will disagree with me on that, but take it or leave it. It's my honest opinion.

I've listened to your tracks and I think with coaching, practice and advice you will improve and maybe cut some decent tracks,
but I don't think you'll ever compete in the charts.

Sorry if that's harsh. Just being honest with you.

Thanks for the reply. But.. you said something that kinda got to me. You said "I have listened to your tracks" I have NO tracks. I have a 30 second track. You could call that a 'sample' . As you said "Your 17" that means.. I'm still learning. Never to old to learn. Not even at the age to go to night clubs and dance to my own tracks! lol.. not as if I would dance to my own tracks haha. But.. I do have a singing voice somewhere.. haha.. I have been told I have potential. But.. I have only been told that on this website. Most guys on here know what there talking about.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

I take it you listened to my track on my other thread? Could you be able to tell me, what I need to work on?
Pretty much everything. Whatever may be good in a particular singer's voice, they should remember that it has to work in tandem with everything else. So for example, one may have great rhythm and phrasing, but struggle in maintaining breath. But they won't just need to work on their breathing. They need to continually work on all three because as one element changes, the balance is no longer the same, do you get me ?
So you'd need to work on being able to hit the right note pretty much all the time, while having the control of breath to emphasize where you need to and keep phrases going etc and all the things that make up singing - hearing and reacting to the music, getting the song across, knowing loudness and softness, tempo etc.
It sounds boring and trite but it's only by continual practice that you'll know whether or not you will be a singer or should take up keyboards or whatever instead.
And you could still practice on your way to and from work !

You have two tracks, albeit short ones. I listened to them both.
Sorry that 'got to you'.

Thanks for the reply. But.. you said something that kinda got to me. You said "I have listened to your tracks" I have NO tracks. I have a 30 second track. You could call that a 'sample' . As you said "Your 17" that means.. I'm still learning. Never to old to learn. Not even at the age to go to night clubs and dance to my own tracks! lol.. not as if I would dance to my own tracks haha. But.. I do have a singing voice somewhere.. haha.. I have been told I have potential. But.. I have only been told that on this website. Most guys on here know what there talking about.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

I also said that you would carry on regardless of what anyone said.

Go ahead, and enjoy it too.

I take it you listened to my track on my other thread?

You mean sample, right? :p

I'm not meaning to be harsh Sean.
This is an industry where thousands of people who are fantastic get knocked back every week.
How does that impact on the chances of someone who's reasonable?

You mean sample, right? :p

I'm not meaning to be harsh Sean.
This is an industry where thousands of people who are fantastic get knocked back every week.
How does that impact on the chances of someone who's reasonable?

Haha dude, I appreciate your replies. Honestly. I know a lot of people who have been on competitions and I have said "OMG, I don't like their voice, at all" Or.. "OMG, they can't sing" But.. they do have good voices and they can sing, just not in my opinion. I know my voice needs a hell of a lot of training. And.. I also know that this is an industry where "underdogs" can reach the top of the charts. I know, I couldn't do that just now. But.. lets be honest, It ain't that hard if you can sing. Lessons = Practice = PERFECT ;)

Haha, anyway, thanks.

Well, fair play. I'll never say never dude. And like I said, I'm not accusing you of being talentless by any stretch.

Funny, I was gonna say there are plenty of pop singers who can't really sing, but I though it would come across the wrong way.

Bottom line, if you enjoy it, do it.
Like anything, find a balance between ambition and reality.
Anything can happen, but equally anything can fail to happen so just enjoy what you do and really put the work in if that's what you want.

Sean... You better hope Greg doesn't reply to this thread. lol. :laughings:

You have a dream. That's respectable. I'll tell you right now, I hope you know your singing isn't going to be world class, like Steen said. You don't have it. That said, you can still make it, but it won't be easy at all.

Let me ask you this. Why don't you like working? What about it don't you like? I'm semi-agreeing with your parents on this one. What if it doesn't work out?

I'm still young. I'm striving to be a classical/flamenco player. But I have a fallback. I will work to be a Physicist. And I'm almost guaranteed a job (at least teaching in some States) unless I take the field of String Theory. :D

But that's something else... Sean, I just want to tell you your dream is a very hard one. Be prepared. Determination isn't enough...

Sean... You better hope Greg doesn't reply to this thread. lol. :laughings:

You have a dream. That's respectable. I'll tell you right now, I hope you know your singing isn't going to be world class, like Steen said. You don't have it. That said, you can still make it, but it won't be easy at all.

Let me ask you this. Why don't you like working? What about it don't you like? I'm semi-agreeing with your parents on this one. What if it doesn't work out?

I'm still young. I'm striving to be a classical/flamenco player. But I have a fallback. I will work to be a Physicist. And I'm almost guaranteed a job (at least teaching in some States) unless I take the field of String Theory. :D

But that's something else... Sean, I just want to tell you your dream is a very hard one. Be prepared. Determination isn't enough...

First of all.. who is greg? hahaha. And what will he do.. Haha

Anyway.. I do have a job to fall back on. My dad has his own business and I do help him out sometimes. But.. singing comes first. I'm giving singing my all!!

I am determined and I will make it. NEVER SAY NEVER :D

Greg is a regular here.

I don't really know him, but from reading many of his posts, he will probably tell you to give up.

Well that's good you have a fallback. Again though, determination isn't enough. "Never say never." Nice saying. But that saying won't make your dreams come true.

One piece of advice I will give you is that you need connections. I see artists my local news "advertises" everyday. Most of them suck. I can literally go out on the street and pick street performers much better than those on the news. Which makes me wonder "How did they get on the news?" Connections.

How do people become politicians? Connections.

If you want to learn something you have to study it and you have to compete to get realistic feedback and experience. Get a job and pay for professional lessons - lots of them. Get a teacher who can help you get into local competitions so you have a steady goal to strive for. Become a busker when the weather improves for extra cash and exposure. When my daughter was in dance school they took classes evenings and weekends and went several to competitions every year. They danced in charity events for additional exposure and the better ones taught the younger ones. Every one of those who went pro went to "dance" college.

Greg is a regular here.

I don't really know him, but from reading many of his posts, he will probably tell you to give up.

Well that's good you have a fallback. Again though, determination isn't enough. "Never say never." Nice saying. But that saying won't make your dreams come true.

One piece of advice I will give you is that you need connections. I see artists my local news "advertises" everyday. Most of them suck. I can literally go out on the street and pick street performers much better than those on the news. Which makes me wonder "How did they get on the news?" Connections.

How do people become politicians? Connections.

Yeah.. the saying "its not what you know, its who you know" that means.. if you know people who can get you a contract then your in. Haha..

To me it seems that you're making the mistake of putting too much importance on what other people say.
Both the "bad" things and the "good" things.

Also, the whole not wanting to work thing is indeed a dangerous approach to life because you have to work in life even for "dreams".
Acting, Music, Sports, Cooking, anything. You have to work.
And I'm incredibly grateful to have had work ethic instilled in me from a young age.
I've been working virtually my entire life. But that is a story for another time when needed or wanted.

As I've said before on this site: I think a person can have anything they want in life as long as they go get it and don't expect it to come to them.
You have to WORK to get it.

There are times when I work less at actual "work" than I do at music.

Fame is a dangerous almost delusional goal.
Sure, there's nothing wrong with loving music or sports or whatever so much to the point where you want recognition for it.
But it should NEVER be that youre loving fame so much that you'll do whatever to get it.
If fame is what you want there are plenty of ways to get it. Just check the news.

If singing is what you want to do. There are plenty of ways to do that as well. Just check the YouTube ;)

And another bit of advice: Whatever you want to do. Just do it. The only way you learn is through working and making mistakes. You can't just sit around in your bedroom dreaming and thinking and talking about things forever.

What is the Dream? Is the dream to become a singer or is the dream to be rich and famous and not have to do anything? Yes there is a difference and most people don't really know which one they want. If you want to be a singer it is not easy unless you are a novelty like william hung or rebecca black. But I hope you don't want to be famous for being bad. All my life everyone told me that I had a great voice. My dad and grandfather were both classical singers and I started learning musical instruments since I was 2 years old. I say this because the average person would say I had a great voice but STILL I had to practice for hours a day with extensive lessons with professionals for scouts to even make it past 10 seconds of my recording. If you truly want to be a singer you need to practice practice practice. That doesn't mean sing along with youtube while you're playing games but to do seemingly mindless exercises. For anything to go from good to great, it needs to be more than fun and games. Sure professional basketball players probably love their job and love the game but I guarantee that at some point they were standing at the line shooting 100 free throws a day and waking up early in the morning for conditioning.

Also the piece of advice I would give is that if you really want to be a singer (I'm assuming popular/hollywood/celebrity singer) you should work on songwriting. Of course you can get better but at you're current state there are millions of people out there with much better voices that would get a glance from a talent agent. Most great artists had great songs. If you have the greatest voice in the world people will write songs for you but those people are rare.

Seriously ask yourself if you want to do this? I was offered a scholarship to a prestigious music school and I loved to sing for the sake of singing and still made the hard decision that I didn't think I could put 100% into singing and instead now sing on the side. Yes I still love to sing and will continue to do it but I will probably not be the next Josh Groban. I do it on the side and I still practice 10-15 hours a week. If you want to go 100% you need to practice A LOT more than that. Good Luck. All the Best.

I know you're going to ignore this advice until you're 35 or so, but....

Get an education and a job that will pay the bills and make music and singing your fallback plan. If you're lucky you might be successful in the music industry. If not, then at least you won't starve.

good luck.

Get an education and a job that will pay the bills and make music and singing your fallback plan. If you're lucky you might be successful in the music industry. If not, then at least you won't starve.

good luck.

^^^my plan.

It would be nice to be a famous rockstar, but honestly I just don't see it happening. :(

Back