Should I Finish This Song I'm Working On?

AaronChapman

I was just playing around on the guitar today and came up with a framework for a song. So I half-heartedly threw some lyrics together and recorded it. The recording is too close to my guitar my vocals are subdued slightly, so read the lyrics first( I know I need to work on my enunciation:P). Should I continue with the song or scrap it?
https://soundcloud.com/aaron-chap/top-to-bottom-test-recording

Lyrics:

I'm top to bottom,
Feeling like I'm going places that I'm not.

They're calling me somewhere,
To all these places that I forgot.

If I make them a monster,
Then I make a monster of myself.

Heck yeah! Sounded cool reminded me of something Neil Young or Curt Cobaine would bang out ... Finish it and keep on writing ...they're gifts man..

Seems you've been able to tune in to the cosmic vibe...not everybody is able to do that....enjoy the ride..take the gifts seriously but don't take yourself seriously....you're just part of a way bigger thing .... have fun with it..If something you channel out comes sevens cool...if all you ever get out of it is a free ride to the pleasure of singing and playing a song "you" wrote it's all good.

Yeah, here we all are puffing you up. Nothing the matter with that. Sometimes an artist needs a bit of blue skies. Lord knows there are plenty to tell us it sucked, and that we might as well hang it up.

Anyway, I had a listen. It reminded me of a Nirvana type vibe. I actually went to bed humming the guitar part and went to sleep with song ideas for you to complete it. By the morning they were gone, haha. But thats a different story.

Dude, it has the potential to be a good tune. Develop it.

One of my favorite modern songwriters is Tom Petty. I've heard a bunch of his rough demo, stuff. Not impressive. But the core of the tune is there, and when fully developed, they are great tunes. And look at how many hits he's had over his career!

I'm not comparing you to him, just saying that even the big boys, living in fancy houses bought with hit song royalties, had their roots in unpolished tunes that were developed to the full potential.

Do that to your tune. Develop it to its full potential. :D

One of my favorite modern songwriters is Tom Petty.

This is liberal use of the word "modern". I don't think Tom Petty and "modern" have been used in the same sentence since 1979; unless the sentence is "Tom Petty is not modern". :D

Back