Rythem Help

Iamlion123

Hi Guys,

I'm not sure if there was a better place to post this, feel free to let me know if there was.

I have a problem when recording guitar separate from vocals. I was hoping you you could give me some advice on how I can improve on doing it. If I record guitar and singing at the same time I can make it sound good but if I record my guitar then try and sing over the guitar track its very awkward, it changes the energy of the song and ruins the timing for me. I find I have to record singing and guitar at the same time then re-sing over my singing. I just record my guitar with the mic and sing loud enough that the guitar track picks up my vocals in the background. I then can sing over that.. but sometimes its really hard.
Its like when I play guitar and sing I play these really complex change ups and rhythms that match the rhythm of my voice... And when I separate it I cant play those rhythms on guitar alone.. so I then have to sing the song differently which I don't want to do because that's the song I've written and it sound better when I play it all at the same time(guitar and vocals) Do any of you have any advice you could give me? Mybe some tricks or tips on how to get into recording separate tracks?

Thank you.

I have for a very long time and now am I strictly going to practice recording with separate tracks, I was just hoping you guys may have some tips or advice on proper studio practice on how to do so. Do some performers just do guitar and vocals at the same time for an album or do they just learn to do them separate? I want to make my songs sound good on an album, should I really learn to separate the vocals or should I just learn to position the mics so I can do both instruments at the same time. I was considering buying an sm58 so I could record my vocals and not have the acoustic bleed into the editing

When changes in tempo and rhythm are important and a singer works best by singing along, then I record both at the same time. This can work just fine.

I've also done it the other way: a singer plays and sings the song, which gets recorded. They then play along to this guide track, then sing along t it, then the guide track gets deleted.

What you need to is make sure the rhythm changes are deliberate, rather than accidental, i.e. you are consciously doing them. If they just happen, then trying to follow will be really difficult.

Do what works for you. Melissa Ethridge records her vocals while playing. She didnt do too bad for herself.

Thank you for the advice man. Maybe Ill start trying to do this from now on... then try and re-record the guitar as well.

When changes in tempo and rhythm are important and a singer works best by singing along, then I record both at the same time. This can work just fine.

I've also done it the other way: a singer plays and sings the song, which gets recorded. They then play along to this guide track, then sing along t it, then the guide track gets deleted.

What you need to is make sure the rhythm changes are deliberate, rather than accidental, i.e. you are consciously doing them. If they just happen, then trying to follow will be really difficult.

Record while playing using two tracks. Then mute the guitar track and try recording it with
your vocal track. Compare the two guitar tracks. Good luck!

I usually record a scratch track with the person singing and playing. Throw that into head phones for them and then record the guitar properly without singing, delete the scratch track and record the vocals.

Back