Opinions on my singing? :-)

I think you need to ask a more specific question. Asking just for opinion/what we think doesn't really do much. You should include info such as what you think of your own voice so we can see if what you're hearing is what we're hearing. Other things you could include are what type of sound you're after, what qualities of your voice you want use to speak on (i.e. timbre, nasality, strength, airiness), etc. etc. so that we have a point of reference to help you from. The more specific the question, the better/more in depth a response you can get because as things stand the question leaves the door open for responses such as "it's...okay?", "it needs work?", or other things that don't add much value. Come again with more information and get more involved in other threads to pick up useful tidbits of info.

more info

Thanks for replying, I didn't think that was necessary since usually you can judge if a person sings ok or not from just hearing them singing.

But well, what sound am I after..... I would say a punky/grungy kind of sound my voice is way too airy and thin for that, which I am aware of. But my voice have gotten raspier lately which I think is cool but I don't know if it's "GOOD" considering it usually isn't lol. But I don't care.

So since my voice isn't very punky I usually nowadays try to get inspired to sing more like Lana Del Rey, if you've listened to her, she has jazzier way of singing. I think since I don't get any professional singing-coaching it's better if I sing more like that than trying to push my voice to sing songs that it isn't built for, like punk songs for example.

I'm just going after what I believe is best for my voice, that is also why I didn't include what kind of sound i'm going after, I thought I could get some advice on what genre my voice sounds as though it would suit best for. But really i'm not interested in singing any other genre than punk, grunge or the type of sophisticated jazz-inspired pop Lana sings. Not quite sure how to describe it.

I've always been told I need to practice my breath-control and how to relax since I have always been horrible at breathing right when singing, but personally I think that I have gotten better at that lately since nowadays I can hold a tone for a much longer time and taking high notes doesn't make my throat feel like it's gonna bleed. Lol. Oh and I can sing fast songs without losing breath (if you listen to my cover of "But It's Better If You Do" if you want an example, I could never have done that a year ago).

And if I believe I can sing myself.... i've always been told I CAN sing, but when I listen to recordings from when I was 12 I was completely friggin tone-deaf, literally. Now, I can sing. But I am mediocre at it, I think I could get lots better if I got vocal coaching.

It still happens that my throat starts hurting after like 2 songs, I don't know why but maybe you can tell what I do wrong from listening to me.

Just tell me if you need more info but I think that should do.

I think I could get lots better if I got vocal coaching.

Yes.

Your pitch drifts quite a bit off on all the songs.
Do you not hear that?

The fact that the music is much lower than your voice in the Soundcloud tracks, makes that pitch drift sound that much worse. It's off quite a bit in a lot of place....not talking just the occasional note.

Not sure how it sounds to you. Like...is it the same vocal VS music level balance as the Soundcloud tracks, or do you hear the music louder, or do you hear your voice louder....but whatever it is, you are obviously NOT hearing yourself going in and out of tune.
Until you can hear that....you'll never improve it, and the vocal styling you are doing won't help cover it.
Coaching can help...or maybe change how you are monitoring your voice VS the music so you can better hear/recognize when your pitch is on or off.

+1 monitoring. You need to hear yourself, and your backing track, while you record. The tone of your voice does not sound bad. You have pitch problems. Take this from somebody who struggles with singing, and is working to improve. Find a song that is in your vocal range and that has a simple melody. Focus on singing it straight, without vocal flourishes, trills, runs, exaggerated vibrato, etc. But try to hit the pitches and keep your tone as pure as possible. Listen back to that. Then you will know where you are, and what you need to do to improve. If you can find an experienced vocal coach, you will progress faster. Good luck.

Thanks for replying, I didn't think that was necessary since usually you can judge if a person sings ok or not from just hearing them singing.

But well, what sound am I after..... I would say a punky/grungy kind of sound my voice is way too airy and thin for that, which I am aware of. But my voice have gotten raspier lately which I think is cool but I don't know if it's "GOOD" considering it usually isn't lol. But I don't care.

So since my voice isn't very punky I usually nowadays try to get inspired to sing more like Lana Del Rey, if you've listened to her, she has jazzier way of singing. I think since I don't get any professional singing-coaching it's better if I sing more like that than trying to push my voice to sing songs that it isn't built for, like punk songs for example.

I'm just going after what I believe is best for my voice, that is also why I didn't include what kind of sound i'm going after, I thought I could get some advice on what genre my voice sounds as though it would suit best for. But really i'm not interested in singing any other genre than punk, grunge or the type of sophisticated jazz-inspired pop Lana sings. Not quite sure how to describe it.

I've always been told I need to practice my breath-control and how to relax since I have always been horrible at breathing right when singing, but personally I think that I have gotten better at that lately since nowadays I can hold a tone for a much longer time and taking high notes doesn't make my throat feel like it's gonna bleed. Lol. Oh and I can sing fast songs without losing breath (if you listen to my cover of "But It's Better If You Do" if you want an example, I could never have done that a year ago).

And if I believe I can sing myself.... i've always been told I CAN sing, but when I listen to recordings from when I was 12 I was completely friggin tone-deaf, literally. Now, I can sing. But I am mediocre at it, I think I could get lots better if I got vocal coaching.

It still happens that my throat starts hurting after like 2 songs, I don't know why but maybe you can tell what I do wrong from listening to me.

Just tell me if you need more info but I think that should do.

Thanks. Lots of info there. For one, definitely listen to what the others have said here. I agree with them and I agree with you that lessons would be beneficial for you. The pitch strays a lot. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel you go flat and stay flat for long periods of time. I would agree with the sentiment that you could benefit from more breath control. That said, how loud do you find yourself to be singing? I feel like you're not singing loud enough, which is what makes your voice sound thin and airy. Try owning your sound and projecting when you sing. Also, if your throat is going after 2 songs, that is usually a good indication that there are significant problems in your singing technique. This used to happen to me a lot. That in combination with nasality and dislike of my own timbre led me to a vocal coach and it was highly beneficial for me. Basically, you want to have sound hit off your palate in your mouth, not and not your throat. Throaty singing actually can damage your vocal chords and detracts from sound quality! So please, if this is happening often, look to find a vocal coach sooner rather than later.

Finally, I should say that what you said at the end, speaking about belief in your own ability to sing and improve, is the most important thing you could say out of all of that. Belief in your own ability and a drive to improve yourself will take you far. Some may disagree with your assessment but as long as you believe and actively continuing to pursue something, which in this case should be vocal coaching, there is nothing you can't achieve. So definitely keep that positive attitude going forward and hopefully you'll start getting to where you need to be eventually. For now though, work on the pitch problems, sing more from your diaphragm/project more, work on flexing/not letting air seep out when you're singing (which leads to running out of breath) quickly, look for vocal instruction, and consistently practice in healthy ways (i.e. not by singing from your throat, which a coach will help you with) :)

I do tend to not sing very loud since i'm mostly not home alone which might also be the reason why I tense up while singing, I hold my voice back because I tend to get told when I sing "too loud" so I never fully relax unless i'm home alone. So that's a problem, I don't have anywhere to sing but my own room.. anyway thanks for your feedback. :)

Thanks for all the replies!

I will now try and find a vocal coach around where I live as soon as I have the economy for it.. if it will help me it's totally worth it!
I usually do think I stay on pitch and it's never anything i've been told I don't before ,though lately I tend to wanna make my own versions of songs so I drift off in my singing sometimes.. and sing in different pitches. It's my thing.. But I will pay attention to that!

Thanks again.

...though lately I tend to wanna make my own versions of songs so I drift off in my singing sometimes.. and sing in different pitches. It's my thing.. But I will pay attention to that!

Improvisation is good...it helps you develop your own style. However, you can't just sing off-pitch relative to the key of a song and say it's your own thing.
I mean, you can....but it will not sound good. Sour is sour.

Sit down at a piano...hit a note, sing that note...etc..etc.
If you can, record it and then listen back and see if you can tell when you are on and when you are off.

Singing well is more about listening...instead of just letting it out. You really need to learn to hear yourself relative to the music. If you can go with a vocal coach, he/she will help learn how to do that, and how to get the most out of your voice.

I do tend to not sing very loud since i'm mostly not home alone which might also be the reason why I tense up while singing, I hold my voice back because I tend to get told when I sing "too loud" so I never fully relax unless i'm home alone. So that's a problem, I don't have anywhere to sing but my own room.. anyway thanks for your feedback. :)

I think this is probably one of the biggest issues. It's really hard to learn how to sing when you're not relaxed and allowing yourself to sing out. It's really hard to learn things like breath control when you're not wanting to be heard. IMHO, you're not going to progress as quickly if you can't get over the inhibition (or whatever it is ... maybe you're not wanting to disturb others). Singing really doesn't work when you only have one foot in the water. Maybe pros can do that because they've already mastered their craft, but in the beginning, you've really got to go for it in order to make progress. That's been my experience, and it's my .02. Good luck!

Well, I will have to find a solution then... I've been thinking about singing in choir again though that is only once a week and I still won't have many chances to practice at home.. but it's better than nothing right? :D Thanks!! ^^

Good singing.

i am curious to know how you record these songs? You just turn on the speakers and sing to the mic?

Try to lower the music and sing. Sometimes if the music is too loud, you try to sing louder to hear your voice and mess up the pitch, tone and your throat too. If the usic is too low, then you can't keep up the tempo and the pitch. Hope you understand what i am saying.

Thank you!! :D

And yep that is basically how I record. I use audacity.
I think you're right about the music being loud at times ,I will try singing with the music on a lower volume from now on and see if it helps. ^^

Back