Need Feedback..new young singer

Tom Paul

This is a song that my daughter sings. She is 13. I am too close to her and the song to be objective. I'd appreciate your comments and opinions on her singing... The recording itself is a demo.

Nicely done........and she certainly does have some talent. I'd urge her to keep honing her skills. She doesn't have any major issues and her potential looks as if she could do very well. But the song doesn't help her as much as it could because it seems as if it's just slightly out of her range. Perhaps one key lower? I will say also........the vocal recording itself does not do much for her either. Not sure if it's the mic that was used or the setup or whatever........but the clarity and quality could improve and bring her voice more up front in the sound stage. How was the vocal track recorded? I'm willing to bet that a better track would make her voice "pop" and you would be much happier with the result. Just my 2 cents.

Thirteen? If you can afford a decent vocal coach, get her going. She can hit the notes. She can hold the notes.
But she's lost somewhere between "powerful" and "airy". No man's land for a solo vocalist. Great for a one in a hundred choir member.
If she has aspirations of being a solo artist she'll need to develop the power and air skills...If she wants to be part of the choir, she'll do great!

I agree with the above. She has talent, if you can get her some coaching (if she wants it, and doesn't already have it). Enjoyed the cover.

Hi Tom. I really loved to listen to your daughter. I'm not a critic, but if I were, I would say that she sounds just a little bit sleepy, so the song weakens a bit when it comes to the second half. I wouldn't say that she needs more power (though I'm not a pro! it's only my opinion!), just more... emotions and interest for how the song progresses.
Surely it's only my opinion.
Ivan.

But the song doesn't help her as much as it could because it seems as if it's just slightly out of her range. Perhaps one key lower? I will say also........the vocal recording itself does not do much for her either. Not sure if it's the mic that was used or the setup or whatever........but the clarity and quality could improve and bring her voice more up front in the sound stage. .

We redid the song a half key lower and we retracked Julie's vocal with a KM-184 which brightens it up a bit. We also tracked her harmonies which she sings very naturally. This is where it is now.... I might invest in some real drums. I'm not sure how far I'm going to take this song

Julie is getting vocal coaching and takes piano lessons. She did very well in a large Pittsburgh talent show playing piano and singing a cover tune earlier this year. She is way beyond where I was at 13!! It's a great start...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a horrible vocalist myself but definitely get your daughter some lessons to sharpen up, she has some serious talent for sure and could be molded into something very marketable. Could just be my ears but she sounds just a little thin, maybe doubling the tracks would help with this but one way or another... encourage her and get her a coach if she wants one. She is better than 95% of the stuff you hear on the radio for sure.

Back