just rate my voice

You already sound awesome! You do have a voice.

Learn some recording techniques from the forum and you will sound ten times better!

Sounds good. You definitely can sing. I hope you don't mind me asking this, but is English your first language? I only ask because at times it sounds like I can hear an accent in certain parts. One suggestion I would make is to be careful about trying to "match" the original singer too much. In the first song there were parts where you started sounding like you were trying to make it sound like the original singer and not just let your own voice through.

Really well done though! Keep it up!

Thank you so much. You're a great help.
I'm Belgian. Was born and raised here. I have French as a second language, English as a third and speak some German as well.
As a non-native speaker it's always hard to judge if you have an accent or not. I've heard my accent is good when I speak it, but speaking and singing are two completely different things. I don't know if you see it as a native English speakers as tons of recording artists sing in English even though it's not their first language. Is it something that bothers or does it make it "special"? :-)

I studied theatre where we had some singing classes. That teacher told me I had no voice to sing, that I was absolutely horrible, but then again people of my age ( and some adults) told me: you should do something with your singing, there's potential. So for a long time I was torn in between two worlds. Even posting this message took so much courage.

I personally think an accent while singing makes the performance and your voice more personal. I guess what I was trying to say is don't try to hide it too much, that's what makes it sound like you're trying to "match" the original vocal. I liked it better when you sing naturally (from the 2 samples above).

Last edited:
I personally think an accent while singing makes the performance and your voice more personal. I guess what I was trying to say is don't try to hide it too much, that's what makes it sound like you're trying to "match" the original vocal. I liked it better when you sing naturally (from the 2 samples above).

Thank you, I hadn't commented on that copying part. I have the tendency to do that when I do a karaoke song ( like the ones in the videos) . When I play with a guitarist for instance, it feels more natural.

You have a good voice. Like any other instrument, you have to practice to develop your skills. Wish I could sing well.

Wow ... if your theater teacher told you that you're horrible, then either:

A) The standards for singing in Belgium are ridiculously high

B) The teacher was a total asshole and/or hated you for whatever reason

C) The teacher is part of an intergalactic coordinated plan, unbeknownst to all but a select few, to save the human race, and this plan requires (for whatever reason) that you don't become a singer.

Seriously, man, you've got loads of singing talent already. Please don't listen to your theater teacher; you've got a great voice that's only going to get better. I don't know how old you are, but you seem pretty young. I've been singing for over 20 years (I started pretty late --- around 19 or so --- and I'm 43 now), and you definitely already have much better technique than I do.

Definitely pursue it! Best of luck to you.

Thank you so much.
Our teacher was a classical teacher, she only listened to classical music and preferred students being into classical music as well.
Apart from that: it was the type of school where you got in and some teachers liked you and whatever you did, it was great. And other teachers didn't like you and no matter what you matter, it was never good enough.

A theatre school looks good on your resume, but I'm sure if I wouldn't have had my education there, then I would have been much more selfconfident at 17.
Another ( stupid) thing was that when I was a teenager lots of TV talent shows came up. People of my age group told me: why don't you audition? But my only concern was: imagine I lose in the first round and the whole nation has seen it and it will be forever on youtube BUT most artists I like have never been on that type of shows. Wasn't great for my confidence either. I'm a lyricist as well. I'll post some on the forum later on.

Right before graduating, my teacher left a note on my school-report that she wouldn't recommend me pursuing a singing career. Some other students had a good voice as well, but they still needed to work on it a lot, but that teacher just praised them as if they were God.
Right after my final performance ( in front of a 1000 people) she said: congrats that you dared to sing with zero talent.

PS: I'm already 33, I was around 30 in the videos. I don't have this dream like: I want to be part of "one direction" or winning "the voice", I want to make good songs, perform as much as I can, share music, ..... I've just explained why I wasn't selfconfident for all these years.

Last edited:
Wow, you don't look 30 for sure in those videos! (You'll learn to appreciate comments like that more and more more as time goes on :) )

All I can say is that I really hate teachers like the one you describe. I know they would probably justify it by saying they're trying to save someone a lifetime of disappointment, etc., but f*ck that. If someone likes to sing and it makes them happy, then who the hell are they to say otherwise? And it would be one thing if you couldn't carry a tune or something, but come on. Granted, you may not be much of a classical singer (I wouldn't know), but to me, the operatic style of singing usually sounds absurd.

I'm a huge fan of classical music, but I (almost) always found opera to just be ludicrous. I know those people are talented, and I respect the fact that they put a lot of work into it and have a lot of control with their voice, etc., but what they are doing with it usually just sounds ridiculous to me. The vibrato is so frickin' wide that it's sometimes hard to even tell what note they're singing. Again, I know they're very skilled at what they do, but .... that doesn't mean I have to like it. To each their own.

All that is besides the fact that I certainly think you have plenty of vocal talent, and I enjoyed listening to the songs. Keep it up!

Thank you,

I do agree on the funny part of opera. It's funny, but not as funny as watching a good comedy movie. I feel so moved when someone sends shivers down my spine just being focused on both words and notes. If they really tell a story, I can always forgive the fact that their singing is not "perfect".

Years after my theatre schooling I took some private "pop singing" lessons and the first thing I've heard was: your singing is very classical even though it's not your style. She never said I was a bad singer, but I didn't get any real feedback either. During those lessons, I just learnt how to sing less classically.

I'm going to post some extra videos, although I don't show my face in some of them, just because I often practice late at night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFY74meN3No

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI7jhm9uz8M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ6ids1XL-0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlZ4I-WzZGY

hm. I don't know anything about technical aspects of singing.
But I do think you have a good voice, it's nice to the ear. To be honest I am not a fan of the accent. But you do have potential ;d

Back