I want to improve, need advices!

Jonathan Magnis

Hi gorgeous people!

I have a love/hate relationship with my voice. I kinda love it because I find it very unique but it seems to not fit any song I would like to cover (if that makes any sense :cursing:)

I really want to improve, get better. I had only just a few vocal lessons when I was younger but had to stop due the price. For almost a year I've been practicing with some exercises I remember doing back then and now I feel like I'm starting to see some differences.

Any advice will be just awesome, I'll really appreciate that.

This is the link: https://soundcloud.com/scribbless/mad-world-first-attempt

Well......first I'd like to ask you..........how do YOU think you sound? You listen to commercial music and singing all the time right? I think you need to keep working hard on it. Your vocals are almost more spoken than sung and you have a little difficulty holding pitch on a single note or phrase sometimes. There's note much actual tone in your vocal. Your timing is not too bad so that's a plus. Your result sounds like a guy who is a little hesitant to deliver a good strong vocal line and perhaps it's because your confidence level is low. All those things are the same things many many new singers go through.............so.........keep at it. Keep recording yourself and don't give up.

Don't know if I'm a big help, but I'll try. You should work on your tune so that you nail the notes, because the high notes are off. that is because you don't go higher when you should. Your timing is okay. If you record yourself you also should check that you can hear yourself, otherwise you get out of tune. That was one of my problems when I started. Otherwise I think you shouldn't be this shy and just sing a bit more confident and a litle bit more powerful. Open your mouth, your voice needs room. Also try to warm up before recording and well, just keep practicing. I think if you keep this up, you'll make progress. Just don't drop it and go on, everyone needs practice after all.

Thank you very much for the responses!

I'm still looking for my style. I try to record me singing different kind of songs each time but from what I can tell this type of melodic songs (Lana del Rey for example) suit me.

I'm gonna work more on my tone, especially I still have difficulties when it comes to riffs and runs and holding the note. Even though I tend to sing shorter/lower notes because I just like how it sounds and because I find very powerful high notes to not fit me.

Thank you again, other advices will be more than accepted! How do I sound to you especially, suggestions on songs ect.

Back