How to hit high notes using recording techniques? (samples)

Rufio90210

Hi all,

I am new to recording, using Garageband on mac. I am trying to record a vocal part that I want to have that high haunted choir vibe going on like the edward scissor hands sound track (you tube Danny elflam - Iceman)

I can pull it off for the first couple of notes but then I can't hit the notes .... i want to know if there are any (preferably free or cheap) software / plugs ins that I can use on garageband that would like of let me do something similar to Logics Flex Pitch. Or some kind of way like on a midi instrument you can drag the blocks around to what note you want to hit. I have tried Garagebands pitch plug in and sang lower but it just takes away all of the natural elements of the voice and does not sound right, I just need it for the really high ones.

Any advice on how to nail this will be appreciated.

I have made some quick demos of the part using a synth, I rushed it so timings not bang on but you can suss the melody, there is also my vocal attempt in the 2nd track so you can hear where Im going wrong.

it starts at 30 secs in on each track https://soundcloud.com/user16806383/sets/demo

Im considering paying someone to sing it for me but hoping there is some way I can nail it using plug ins or something.

Many thanks!

Oh man! That vocal demo is amazing! You should release it as is! :D

Seriously though, you'll almost always get better results having someone actually sing the part. Pitch-shifting up will always sound unnatural and weird.

If you absolutely insist on a post-processing fix, the easiest way to do it is to slow the recording down to half speed, record the part down an octave, and then speed it back up.

You might be able to load a sampler with a vocal sample and play the higher notes on a midi keyboard. I don't really know how to do this, though!

You could change the key of the piece of music down a few semitones so that you can hit the note. Trying to hit a note your voice can't make will always sound bad.

Other than that, practice and training your voice will take time and it's not something you can easily cheat. :thumbs up:

The problem with 1/2 and octaving is it usually comes out sounding like Alvin and the Chipmunks and takes a HUGE amount of air and control to pull off correctly.
Now if you can pull it off, you might use negative formant on your vocal harmonizer (or pitch shifter) to pull it back...haven't played with that a lot. I mostly do what Clean suggested. Re Write and Re Sing.

Have you tried your falsetto voice (or is that what it was)? It's too high for me, but it's in my falsetto range - and then you could always do some correction on it? Sadly, I suspect it will take some time to develop. Have you tried a session with a singing teacher just to see what your potential range really is? Are you hearing it as close, or miles away? We have no idea how you are perceiving it? As it's a bit reverb soaked and treated, the idea to sample it and use the samples to produce the line could be a good one. An octave away I agree is far too much for anything other than an obvious effect.

Back