How to avoid being heard while recording vocals?

p90

Hey all! So, pretty much the whole time that I've been home recording for a hobby I've been living with other people, whether it's family or roommates, and I have always been so cripplingly self-conscious of being heard while doing vocals that I either only record them when I'm alone, or weirdly enough, take my laptop out to my car and record the vocals in there. Wondering if any of you might have any suggestions on how to avoid being heard, maybe some ideas about soundproofing? Thanks a lot for any suggestions! And no, I sadly can't just get over it haha

Just do it. If they object and dont like your voice, they'll leave. Sooner or later all they'll have to see is the mic coming out and they'll leave of their own accord.

I dunno, works with my cat. :D

I get the same thing. I'll sing in front of people but I hate recording vocals when I know someone can hear.
I just do the vocals when I know no one is home. That might not leave you much time but sound proofing ​isn't really an option.

The treatment you'll see in studios is more about taming the reflections in the room. They may limit transmission of sound to the next room some amount, but it's not the main goal.

Yup, sound proofing is not an option. It is extremely expensive to sound proof a room that wasn't designed and built to be sound proof. Schedule is your best option if you really don't want others to hear you record.

I record while the family sleeps. My little studio if in the garage and detached enough so they can't hear me. That's a good thing.

Live on your own and become sad, lonely and bitter like I did, albeit with relative freedom to do vocal takes whenever I feel like it, subject to planes, insects, birds (kookaburras seemed to have moved in lately), doors slamming, dogs, hot rods and other noisemakers. Or bribe your room mates to go out. ;)

I have a spare wardrobe that already has a laptop shelf in it and I'm currently lining with foam and an old sleeping bag. I'm working on quite harsh screaming vocals though and I'm finding it hard to stay in tune when I'm in full open throat mode! I also don't want my neighbours to call an ambulance.

It gets pretty stuffy in there though.

I get the same thing. I'll sing in front of people but I hate recording vocals when I know someone can hear.
I just do the vocals when I know no one is home.

And I thought I was the only one who did this....

something about other ppl hearing my voice without music or context bugs me. not to mention bad takes and the hour i need to properly warm up. it's so hard finding time to record vocals in a full house with these insecurities, if you will.

And I thought I was the only one who did this....
I think all but the most narcissistic of us do this. I don't even like recording guitar unless its just a quick couple of takes - it just doesn't sound right playing parts over and over again with a really loud heavily distorted guitar. The thought of trying to nail repeated takes of a whole song with people listening is horrible, or writing and recording. I normally write and record with a sim, then switch to amp and mic when I've got it ready.

I think all but the most narcissistic of us do this. I don't even like recording guitar unless its just a quick couple of takes - it just doesn't sound right playing parts over and over again with a really loud heavily distorted guitar. The thought of trying to nail repeated takes of a whole song with people listening is horrible, or writing and recording. I normally write and record with a sim, then switch to amp and mic when I've got it ready.

ah, i use a sim for everything, so no worries from me about anyone hearing something repeated over and over on guitar or bass. Plus, most of the writing i do mentally...so, er, there's that. Then I just have to hope my execution is spot on or i get frustrated after about 10 takes of a lick. i put it down and say "f it. i'll try tomorrow". especially if i'm trying to do a song from start to finish in one take - worse on bass since my experience with it is limited.

ah, i use a sim for everything, so no worries from me about anyone hearing something repeated over and over on guitar or bass. Plus, most of the writing i do mentally...so, er, there's that. Then I just have to hope my execution is spot on or i get frustrated after about 10 takes of a lick. i put it down and say "f it. i'll try tomorrow". especially if i'm trying to do a song from start to finish in one take - worse on bass since my experience with it is limited.
Ah, I sim for writing and arranging then switch to amp and mic... unfortunately, now I've perfected my sound some of the stuff I am trying to re-record is old and i can't remember how to play half of it!

...some of the stuff I am trying to re-record is old and i can't remember how to play half of it!

I have this problem over and over. I always forget to write "Am-C-G-F" at the top on my lyrics sheet. It would take two seconds, but I never remember. Then I find my old songbook from years prior (I found one recently from 16 years ago!) and vaguely remember it...if I only had those chord progressions!

I have this problem over and over. I always forget to write "Am-C-G-F" at the top on my lyrics sheet. It would take two seconds, but I never remember. Then I find my old songbook from years prior (I found one recently from 16 years ago!) and vaguely remember it...if I only had those chord progressions!

Ah, I've got a new book recently. When I go over my old tracks I work them out on the guitar, write them down and make notes on what I want to do with them as I go along. So when I come to start re-recording them properly it doesn't take me long.

I have this problem too, but you can only adjust your schedule, unless you have a garage or some other place where no one can hear you

Ah, I sim for writing and arranging then switch to amp and mic... unfortunately, now I've perfected my sound some of the stuff I am trying to re-record is old and i can't remember how to play half of it!

My main problem with composition is about melodic line. It's not rare that I compose a melodic line tonight and not be able to remember it next morning. Since I don't know to write score, when I create a new melody I just record it before I leave my 'studio'. I put the mic in front of me and just thing 'lah-lah-lah-lah...' while play my acoustic guitar. Then I go to sleep with the proper peace of mind!

:)

About old works... a couple years ago I found a file FULL of lyrics written in my youth (at my 20s) all of them lacking chords or any kind of aid to help to remember how they should sound. I really didn't bother to make any effort to remember. That day I was getting rid of several old memory stuff kept by my mom (such as my kid drawings, some no-sense pictures, elementary school projects – why moms keep such things?) and gave the music file the same destination as the other stuff: the fireplace. It may seem too drastic or crazy, but the truth is that reading mostly of those lyrics I noticed that even if I could remember how to play them I never would use it. The reason is because no one of them reflects anymore my view of life...

:rolleyes:

A few beers help. As long as you don't have too many it can loosen you up and actually make for better takes too.

I have the same problem if I do loud (screaming) vocals. There's always that little itchy "the neighboors must think I've gone insane!"-devil in the back of my head, which effectively ruins the takes.

But yeah.. Beer.

I have no problem with normal singing though, and I don't really care what the neighboors think about whether I sing well or not.

But when it comes to screaming.. Beer!

Back