Honest feedback on singing voice? (Again...)

osmosiis

Hello :D

I posted a similar thread about a week ago, and received some feedback by some very nice people here.

I followed the advice, and improved (or rather tried to improve) the recording. I also added backing tracks this time.

I have two different songs:

Paparazzi by Lady Gaga (messed up with the lyrics at one point).

FourFiveSeconds by Rihanna, Kanye West, Paul McCartney

I messed up with the lyrics at some point of Paparazzi. I also messed up with a high note in FourFiveSeconds... and I don't have a pop filter.... I'm sorry about that.

Personally, I feel like I absolutely suck and that I wasn't born to be a singer, which sucks because I really enjoy it. I feel like I'm not consistent at all. My tone keeps changing, and I've really tried to keep it consistent but it's not working out well. Is there anything I did good?

Thank you!

Since you have no replies..... I listened last night and what I heard was that you are attempting to sing songs that require hitting many different notes in fairly quick succession. Nothing wrong with that unless you can't do it.
You might want to practice with songs that hold a given note for a much longer time to give yourself a chance to listen, compare and correct. (like church hymns ? or folk music)

Personally, I feel like I absolutely suck and that I wasn't born to be a singer, which sucks because I really enjoy it. I feel like I'm not consistent at all. My tone keeps changing, and I've really tried to keep it consistent but it's not working out well. Is there anything I did good?

Thank you!

I agree with your assessment of your abilities. At this point you do suck.
All is not lost however, and this doesn't mean you weren't "born to be a singer". I don't think anyone is. It is not a gene passed down.
Learning to be good at anything requires work. Hard work and LOTS of practice. It can take years to develop and perfect skills.

Now if you didn't assess yourself as sucking, and thought in your own mind you were a good singer, THEN, hope would be lost.

With regards to your chosen songs ( I only listened to the first one). I equate that to trying to climb Mt Everest when you have never climbed any mountain.
Lady GaGa, like her or not, is a very accomplished singer. You are lacking the basics of singing to try to attempt her work.

You can get better, as you have a good starting point with realizing you aren't good. The thing to work on is your basics and perfect them.
If you really enjoy singing, might I suggest getting some lessons and practicing your ass off. Without the vocal basics mastered, you'll never be able to run with the big dogs.

So in closing, If you want to sing well, you can. You just gotta put in the work to develop the skills.

I have to say this, I applaud your bravery for putting your singing out there for all to see.:thumbs up:

I listen to both of them. I think you have a nice open voice. You ave problems with pitch and tempo. And recording is 10X better!

I don't know if you are not good singing with a backing track. Can you sing a song without a backing track? Sometimes if the backing track is not the right tempo, people screw it up. And most backing tracks are made at a diff tempo and pitch,

And pick a song that you can sing, not that you like a lot. I have noticed lot of newbie singers pick song they love a lot, but that's not their song for their throat. Part of being a good singer is knowing your limitations and picking the right song. Do you think you can sing better than this?

Also great job critiquing yourself. Probabaly the most important thing. Now try to be more specific. Where do you suck? pitch, tempo, song selection, can't hear your voice bcos the backing track?

i agree with all of the above...i know both of these songs, and i think the pitch and tempo of the backing tracks is correct so that's not the issue.

Didn't notice too many timing issues...issues I heard were mainly in pitch(being off key) and lack of range...but as everyone else said, those are things that can be worked on with training.

Back