Honest critique please?

Ya know, get an interface, put a decent mic on that, you might have something. While this is home recording, it is a more than just a microphone and an instrument. It is pretty rough, a little investment would give you so much.

Thank you for the quick response. Yeah, i know it's rough. I am actually just starting to get interested in trying to record some music and I have absolutely no investment in it as of yet. I just kind of wanted to get a feel of what others thought of my voice and if it was worth trying to continue really. I have always been kind of shy and haven't ever done it in front of others so i figured i would try online lol. Thank you for your advice. Any suggestions on a fairly cheap way to get started and finding some decent equipment? A decent editing program? I have been playing with Audacity because it's free, but I still don't really know much about what I am doing. Thanks man.

Thank you for the quick response. Yeah, i know it's rough. I am actually just starting to get interested in trying to record some music and I have absolutely no investment in it as of yet. I just kind of wanted to get a feel of what others thought of my voice and if it was worth trying to continue really. I have always been kind of shy and haven't ever done it in front of others so i figured i would try online lol. Thank you for your advice. Any suggestions on a fairly cheap way to get started and finding some decent equipment? A decent editing program? I have been playing with Audacity because it's free, but I still don't really know much about what I am doing. Thanks man.

Well, that kind of goes in a different section, but I will give a quick 2 cents worth. But, you may want to post in another thread or just read some of the threads. Most use Reaper, $60 and really stable, but it is a full DAW and there is a learning curve. The interface gets more complex quicker because of not sure of the requirements, but something from Presonus, the little Audio box is nice and pretty inexpensive (~100 or less), plus it runs off USB power (good for remote recording). It has a two channel input (two mics to tow tracks), then get a couple of decent mics (for starting out, sub $100) that way you can record your guitar with one mic, vocals with another, then blend in the DAW. You could try your hand at used for the mics. Make sure you know what you are getting.

Since you have a laptop (I don't know your specs, so just guessing), if you keep the recording simple, most laptops will do the basics for recording. That would get you a nice little personal rig for not much money. The Audiobox on craigslist and the mics can be had pretty cheap, sometime they come with mics too.

Just make sure for now, watch your spending until you have an idea of what you want. Until you understand what you need and why you need it, then don't buy it. This is a lust hobby and can get out of hand real quick. Ask anyone here.

Hope this helps.

i realize that my equipment needs a major overhaul (Thanks DM60!), but anyone else care to listen to the song and give opinions on my voice at all? i know what i hear of myself is most likely different than what others hear and I would like some feedback, if possible..thanks :)

I think you should go to an open mic night and sing that song. Or a church. I think that would give you the confidence you need. It's a good song, and your voice is on par with, if not better than a lot of the singers I hear at open mics these days.

Hello all :)

Please rate my song...wrote it when my father passed away recently...recorded it with my laptop built in mic and my son is playing in the background, so quality isn't the best. I added some reverb to it to sustain it a bit. Never have sang or played in front of anyone, so a little nervous I guess lol...be honest though!! Thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/ronnie-blevins-574625098/fishingpolecaneman3

I like the song, maybe because of the emotion behind it. good advice on the interface. I just upgraded mine, I have a focusrite 2i2 I will let go real cheap. PM me if interested. as DM said, this hobby can get out of hand quick. it gets in your blood. :D

Back